Ultima Adventures -  Community modded fork Ultima Odyssey

Ultima Adventures - Community modded fork Ultima Odyssey 1.06

No permission to download

Finaltwist

Squire
No, the map was taken from the Gargoyle royal city from OSI, but in adventures, its Praetoria, in the land of Darkmoor

The map is perfect for this - this is a land of good and positive karma mobs - its bright and cheery - meaning its perfect for evil players to go and corrupt. The city of prateoria is being changed to make it more .. omnious and evil.

The good/evil fight in adventures is at the core of the multiplayer experience - though the balance is 90% towards good now, evil players have been moving it slowly towards the dark side. This affects most systems in the game, including death penalties.

Im in process of adding harvesters now - we have offline skill books (which help gain skills while offline by studying) which really help lower the need for macroing. I wanted to do the same for harvesting materials... so harvesters will add an area control element to the game. Place a harvester and come back in a day to see what it got... but you better hide it since someone else could destroy it.

recently also did a bunch of QoL changes, reducing lockpick/potions/etc weight, streamlining the automatic tasks djeryv has ingame (we have 500,000 items now, so those tasks needed some tweaking to make them more efficient), added trick or treat bags to the loot tables, etc etc.
Post automatically merged:

also, Sygun is working on a dwarf stronghold ... looks good so far!
1604334434295.png

Last edited:

Finaltwist

Squire
Introducing... HARVESTERS!

These devices can mine/chop for you while you are away, turning the boring resource collection task into a fun area control mechanic. These have to be placed far enough from other harvesters, meaning you could control a specific cave by placing harvesters in it. They can also be destroyed (they are defended by mobs, based on the quality of the harvester) so other players can steal the resources from your harvester if you're not careful.

what they mine if dependent on the quality of the manufacture, and they run on copper (finally a use for copper!). They weight 750 stones each (yep, no click this deed to place here!!) so players will need to move these with a packhorse or pack llama.

this will add a fun and interesting game mechanic - adding to the server today.

1604412377081.png

Sygun

Citizen
Introducing... HARVESTERS!

These devices can mine/chop for you while you are away, turning the boring resource collection task into a fun area control mechanic. These have to be placed far enough from other harvesters, meaning you could control a specific cave by placing harvesters in it. They can also be destroyed (they are defended by mobs, based on the quality of the harvester) so other players can steal the resources from your harvester if you're not careful.

what they mine if dependent on the quality of the manufacture, and they run on copper (finally a use for copper!). They weight 750 stones each (yep, no click this deed to place here!!) so players will need to move these with a packhorse or pack llama.

this will add a fun and interesting game mechanic - adding to the server today.

View attachment 16956
So excited to set up my fracking empire Ru Paul style! I've just got to be careful not to delve too greedily and too deep, don't want no ancient LotR style evil on my hands...

Finaltwist

Squire
So you found a new place to mine, but the closest forge and anvil is screens away? Why is your only option to gate there or build a house? Why can't you build a forge in the cave? Why can't you build a water trough anywhere you like? An oven? Why can't you place a fountain on the grass near your house? Well addons were only for houses in OSI, to stop hordes of people causing havoc in the lands... but this is hardly necessary for a game like this. Therefore, ive removed the restriction for addons to only be placed in houses. You can place any decoration you want, anywhere you want in the map now. Want to place a table in the grass in the middle of the woods? go ahead. I want players to be able to customize the world how they see fit.

If anyone places an item to grief, to block a path, etc. players can simply use an axe to remove it. problem solved. plus, they get the deed for the item

Finaltwist

Squire
Guide: Harvesters

Harvesters currently allow for offline resource gathering in an innovative way, adding an element of area control to the server. We don't allow pk'ing in the server and the landmass is very big for such a small population of players - thats where harvesters come in. Harvesters allow you to control a certain area, harvest the resources in that area which can be collected at your convenience.

How to get a harvester:
Go to your local tinker. His inventory depends on what he crafted that day, so all harvesters may not be available at all times. There are currently 3 types of harvesters: ore, hides, logs.

1605062675079.png

If anoying children make fun of you for buying a harvester, ignore them.

1605062775583.png
Youll notice they weight a ton, and nope, there are no easy deed-way to move these around. you'll have to get a good old packhorse to move harvesters.

1605062818082.png

youll notice each harvester displays some very important information when you look at it.
1605062857122.png

How to use a harvester:
bring it to the appropriate land type or area, plop it down, and double click.. Once claimed, a harvester will need copper to operate, and no longer be movable. The more copper you feed it, the longer it will work for you.
1605062994843.png
if you try to place a harvester too near another harvester, it will tell you to place it somewhere else - that's because someone else controls that area.

If you want to claim that area, youll have to disable the other player's harvester. Find it, and double click it. Warning: harvesters have sentries... and the sentries depend on the quality of the harvester - higher tier harvesters have tougher sentries!
1605063128287.png

When a harvester is disabled, the attacker can claim all the resources within, and place his own in the area. The owner of the disabled harvester will have to come and either repair the harvester or move it (double click to make it movable again).
1605063195630.png
Tips:
Harvesters give a bonus if you have the appropriate skill to use it - mining (ore), lumberjacking (logs), and forensics (hides). Harvesters also may get a bonus if they are placed in far away lands, difficult to get to.

Veryance

Citizen
I'm having a great time on the server with the other adventurers. I highly recommend the server over a single player experience. Particularly enjoying the good vs evil dynamics. Makes it feel like more than a loot simulator.

Finaltwist

Squire
Finaltwist updated Ultima Adventures - Based on Ultima Odyssey with a new update entry:

Balance, Harvesters, and spikes!

This update adds harvesters, balance spikes, as well as a ton of additional content. See changelist below

Nov 14
- added restricted mode to the game: restricted mode players won't lose skill points or stats on death or travel. BUT, fame/karma will be substantially higher on death/travel penalty, and gold cost for death will also be increased.
this will be a difficulty option that will be set on chracter creation. I'd like to note that it will be very difficult to gain game/karma in...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Finaltwist

Squire
i always hated how all pets of a certain type were all pretty much more or less the same. this forces players to use pets that they might not want to use, just because that's the pet that gives the most damage for their taming skill. For example, I love the look of a drake, but i have to move to a dragon if i want something stronger.

I've therefore added an algorithm on animal spawn that has a (small) chance to randomize pet stats and damage. this way, it would be possible (but rare) to find a pet drake that could take on a dragon. Of course, this is only doable because of the dynamic taming skill algo that was added - pets with elite stats will be harder to tame and all this is calculated automatically.

So don't be surprised if you find a horse you can't tame at 50 taming, or a dragon you can't tame at 105 taming. This will encourage players to go out and scout for the best of their favorite pet type and make taming much more engaging and fun.

my thief, for example, will be searching for an elite snake to tame (which should be able to take on a lich when trained). We also have pet levelling, which further allows you to train up pets.

Finaltwist

Squire
sooo our discord is where most of the discussion happens (its very active) on the game, and someone posted an interesting idea yesterday - a hardcore play mode with permadeath. I added it as a play option and its going to be tested today - essentially a char has 2.5x skillgain, but on death skills reset and the player is randomized. I coded it in yesterday and also included a number of other changes around housing.

It should be an interesting option! Its easy to integrate legacy elements to this too, like only having certain elements or items be passed down from one generation to another.

let's see where this leads!

Finaltwist

Squire
Introducing a new way of playing Adventures:

Permadeath!

This mode came about through a suggestion by a server's player on the discord, and i liked the idea so much I coded it on the spot! It's a novel way to playing UO - with accelerated skillgains, but full loss of items and skills on death. How many days can your character survive? Perfect for bards, role playing, beggars, and just having plain old UO fun.

How? that's easy, login to the server, and create a new char. Youll be greeted by the server greeter, who will advise you on how you can play adventures

1605978285791.png

Now, Roger HArdCore is gonna ask about roguelike, and get further instructions from the greeter
1605978332706.png

Once the words are spoken, Roger is ready to go forth and have adventures in the world!
Things to note: he will not be able to enter a private house owned by another.
Skillgain is 3x normal rate for this character.
More features to come

Sadly though, all things must come to an end, and Roger meets his end
1605978500604.png

On resurrection, instead of coming back as Roger, a new player is created and randomly teleported somewhere in the world - given new name, new gender, new features, and new random starting skills.

1605978607799.png

Goodby Roger, Long Live Akala!

Last edited:

Sygun

Citizen
Introducing a new way of playing Adventures:

Permadeath!

This mode came about through a suggestion by a server's player on the discord, and i liked the idea so much I coded it on the spot! It's a novel way to playing UO - with accelerated skillgains, but full loss of items and skills on death. How many days can your character survive? Perfect for bards, role playing, beggars, and just having plain old UO fun.

How? that's easy, login to the server, and create a new char. Youll be greeted by the server greeter, who will advise you on how you can play adventures

View attachment 17070

Now, Roger HArdCore is gonna ask about roguelike, and get further instructions from the greeter
View attachment 17071

Once the words are spoken, Roger is ready to go forth and have adventures in the world!
Things to note: he will not be able to enter a private house owned by another.
Skillgain is 3x normal rate for this character.
More features to come

Sadly though, all things must come to an end, and Roger meets his end
View attachment 17072

On resurrection, instead of coming back as Roger, a new player is created and randomly teleported somewhere in the world - given new name, new gender, new features, and new random starting skills.

View attachment 17073

Goodby Roger, Long Live Akala!
Can't wait to give hard mode a go! Will be fun to focus on survival rather than powering through on the hunt for loots!

Sygun

Citizen
Trixi Wintermute the jester-bard and all round entertainer is on the loose, causing mischief wherever she goes. Her favourite trick so far is begging from players and recieving involuntary gold donations from them

Finaltwist

Squire
its a really fun way to play right? also, we have plans now for improvement to that system.. we are calling them "soulbound" characters. more to come here, lots of exciting changes!

I'm going to have an amazing prize for the first who can complete skara as a soulbound character (without dying once)