http://paradox3d.net/ -> Opensource C# Game Engine.

A new free, opensource Game Engine is out, XNA is dead.

In those years someone tried to program a new client but they did it in C++ and they didn't end the project because community (experienced in C#) couldn't help them.

Do you think it could be a good idea to start to develop a game via this new Engine?
I think a discussion about it with experienced people (i'm not in graphics), could be a good idea to understand if it's possible or not.

Looks promising, I wouldn't mind seeing an enhanced client or a 3D client made from this engine.
I have noticed that UltimaXNA has sprung back into active development again, so kinda anxious to see how that turns out.

honestly this is brings up my peeve about 'veering off course', the game is 15+ years old. it's an utter waste of time to spend your precious moments building a new engine or a new client. RunUo has already done that, and we've all built off of their success, the game is functional as is and it's perfectly fine in my book. It would take you 1-2-3-5+ years to develop a new engine, then you're back at square one having an empty shard on a new engine. you are better off using what works and building off of that, unless your focus is entirely off of UO and designing an engine is all about how much you know and how much you can apply.
i don't mean to be a downer here or bum you out, but that's the practicality of this suggestion;
we have a functional engine and we have a functional client, why go beyond that?

Last edited:
the main goal of this abstract idea should be using ultima online structures/logic to generate a new mmorpg opensource and customizable. Maybe with a different graphic engine and freely shareable.

If it will be done in XNA it will be great but unfortunely XNA is dead so it means in future it should be exported at least to monogame.

well, like I said.. what's the point? we all know the quality of browser-based games as well, sounds like a downhill plan to me.

I would play the shit out of UO if it was on my phone, I had gotten a remote viewer and played on my phone from my computer but the inputs obviously didn't work..
Sure you would.. it sounds great on paper, till you play it. The complexity of UO wouldn't switch over real well to a phone application, it's only appropriate for a chat room, or at best clicker heroes. ...don't be a liar--do you even lift, bro?

Back