UltimaLive

UltimaLive 0.98

No permission to download

gametec

Diamond Donator
Feb 5, 2014
Shard Name
Untitled
Would be sweet if someone with more skill than I made an update for this.
Sure it might be nice but it won’t happen. This game could be entirely rewritten in 6-10 months with a dedicated team of senior level devs. It took me a long time to realize that.

This system was written by a senior level developer. It was a pet project of his, until real life got in the way. There are very few people in this community that can dance around C++

Seeing as how this community has much more of a pay to play mentality now than it did while I was an active member, I imagine someone with the skill level it would take to update this system would charge quite a bit to do so.

The problem isn’t that you are just tweaking code as most of you do on here. The issue is much more complex because you also have to understand how to write code and have it interact with the client directly.

Reactions: 2dchaos

Darwin

Squire
Sep 5, 2017
Well that's awfully pesimistic... I mean you're not wrong about some of your points, but there's definitely been a bit of a resurgence in free code/ shard development over the past few years. There was a lot of stagnation towards the end of RunUO. RunUO had about zero post stygian abyss content, and what it did have was completely broken. Even a lot of it's pre-stygian abyss stuff was broken/inaccurate. We don't have a huge surge of third party content being made like we did in the runuo glory days, but there's certainly been a resurgence of free shard development.

Reactions: TheDoc

gametec

Diamond Donator
Feb 5, 2014
Shard Name
Untitled
I am typing from a phone so my replies might look wonky... Anyway here it is:

Agreeably I am very pessimistic about the path the community took. There were only a handful of successful Server Owners and nearly ALL of them withholding content that could have greatly benefitted this community; all the while earning real cash off the backs of the many who coded the RunUO server emulator to begin with.

Meaning nearly half, if not more of their projects, were coded by others and given to them freely. Yet very few of these self-proclaimed legends in the community ever gave back anything other than a headache and half-arsed script snippets with zero explanation on how to use them.

Well that's awfully pesimistic... I mean you're not wrong about some of your points, but there's definitely been a bit of a resurgence in free code/ shard development over the past few years. There was a lot of stagnation towards the end of RunUO. RunUO had about zero post stygian abyss content, and what it did have was completely broken. Even a lot of it's pre-stygian abyss stuff was broken/inaccurate. We don't have a huge surge of third party content being made like we did in the runuo glory days, but there's certainly been a resurgence of free shard development.
[doublepost=1551079808][/doublepost]Now the issue here is that when approaching these guys for any help, many were met with the pay to play mentality or a holier than thou attitude with the underlying message being that the little guys in the community shouldn’t be running shards if they couldn’t code them.
[doublepost=1551079947][/doublepost]None of them gave credit where it was due and in fact took credit that wasn’t theirs to take.
[doublepost=1551080048][/doublepost]My final stand on this matter, I quietly left the community because there was no point in having a server if people aren’t consistently releasing content. However I have an answer for this too.
[doublepost=1551080262][/doublepost]I am retired, have been for over 20 years. I have lots and lots of money. With that money I am going to fund a different “game” using Ultima Online as my game model.

This means that the graphics will be similar; more like a cross between UO and Diablo III.
[doublepost=1551080443][/doublepost]Like Bethesda I will have editing tools created and they will be freely accessible. However you will only get a blank game environment on download.

In order to add content: worlds, objects, NPC, Creatures, Monsters etc... you will need to purchase a development subscription which will entitle you to game pack themes which you can tweak to make your game as original as you want.

Reactions: TheDoc

Darwin

Squire
Sep 5, 2017
I will agree with you that if all of the custom content is being hoarded by people looking to make a profit, that that is quite grim for the community at large; however I can't say that I particularly blame anyone for doing that either. People have Bill's to pay. I personally am just grateful that this community exists as it does and that people like tasanar and dexter contribute as much as they do for independent server owners like me.

But to your point, I would hope that anyone who takes free ware and updates it would pursue the spirit that caused that original developer to create it and post it for free in the first place.

gametec

Diamond Donator
Feb 5, 2014
Shard Name
Untitled
It’s a unity type system that will be cross platform for both PC, Console, iOS, and Android
[doublepost=1551080924][/doublepost]Agree to disagree when I say that using the UO game files and their associated official or custom clients is a direct violation of international copyright laws when you pass the game off as your own work. The only way you will get away with that as it is now is to change the file extensions of all associated files that work with the UO client, use a custom client like Orion, and then have a graphic artist convert all the graphics to custom counterparts.
[doublepost=1551080971][/doublepost]It’s easier to make a new game

siran

Citizen
Aug 18, 2014
Shard Name
Witch World
I for one am very interested in this, gametec, and would gladly pay a reasonable amount to participate. I'm only a dabbler so far, completely self taught in C#, and really the programming itself is my hobby instead of running a shard. My friends pester me frequently about when will I have a shard ready to play but so far the development is slow due to limited time though I have never lost interest. Client side limitations have frustrated some of my ideas also.

Reactions: gametec

fwiffo

Rookie
Feb 28, 2014
Rome, Italy
Shard Name
UOItalia Reborn
Donate
Donate money to this user
UltimaLive has been implemented, functionally by me, inside classicuo client, developed and maintained mainly by Andrea Angelini, and by many other people around the world, it is currently in a playable state, you can see more about the project in here: https://github.com/andreakarasho/ClassicUO

Please, remember that the currently most updated branch is the DEV one, so, for eventual submission, always submit them there.

you can see the developed ultimalive in CUO here: https://github.com/andreakarasho/ClassicUO/blob/master/src/IO/UltimaLive.cs

• Love
Reactions: mythos and TheDoc

Darwin

Squire
Sep 5, 2017
use a custom client like Orion
Hello Sir. Would you happen to know a secure site where I could find the Orion Client?
[doublepost=1551635717][/doublepost]
I am retired, have been for over 20 years. I have lots and lots of money. With that money I am going to fund a different “game” using Ultima Online as my game model.

This means that the graphics will be similar; more like a cross between UO and Diablo III.
Also, if you'd like some assistance on making your new game more similar to UO in game mechanics, let me know and maybe I can help. I'm sure you know the game very well yourself, but the game does have MANY subtleties.

Counselor Kinto

Citizen
Mar 17, 2020
Is there a way to make this work old game client that works with a uo client from 5.0.1.....how to make the new files show up with my old game client without change mass code in the engine to read from newly update files ? Me and friends are trying to get this working on a family member of mines server ...we connect pull in his custom towns and dont get kicked but the chars....are balled etc..no clothes

fwiffo

Rookie
Feb 28, 2014
Rome, Italy
Shard Name
UOItalia Reborn
Donate
Donate money to this user
actually you'll have to copy the igrping as per instruction, there is no reason for it to not work on your side, since it can handle also older files (I had old, small sized maps many years ago on my shard, and we updated maps only recently), actually it should handle everything without any problem.

john burns

Knight
Mar 12, 2014
Michigan, USA
vachiadroylia.dynu.net
Shard Name
Vachia Droylia
actually you'll have to copy the igrping as per instruction, there is no reason for it to not work on your side, since it can handle also older files (I had old, small sized maps many years ago on my shard, and we updated maps only recently), actually it should handle everything without any problem.
Looked at the Git-Hub page and see a lot of files, but not sure what to do with them. What do I need to make this work for me.

tiba

Citizen
Jan 27, 2019
guys i want fully disable streaming on ultimalive,

just want use more maps then 5 original maps...

how i disable streaming without uinstall ultima live ?

Reactions: untimelydawg

mythos

Citizen
Mar 12, 2017
errors on MONO with servuo_pub57 after making required changes and placing files i get the following error:
C#:
Error:
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'VitaNex.Text.UOFont' threw an exception. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Attempted to FindDataFile before DataDirectories list has been filled.
  at Server.Core.FindDataFile (System.String path) [0x0000f] in <236550b6c6c647d79e459b499a6dee18>:0
  at Server.Core.FindDataFile (System.String format, System.Object[] args) [0x00007] in <236550b6c6c647d79e459b499a6dee18>:0
  at VitaNex.Text.UOFonts.LoadUnicode (System.Byte id) [0x00093] in <96d90253f9d945d2b2bd9bd0742f56cf>:0
  at VitaNex.Text.UOFonts.GetFont (VitaNex.Text.UOEncoding enc, System.Byte id) [0x00019] in <96d90253f9d945d2b2bd9bd0742f56cf>:0
  at VitaNex.Text.UOFonts.get_Item (System.Int32 id) [0x00006] in <96d90253f9d945d2b2bd9bd0742f56cf>:0
  at VitaNex.Text.UOFont..cctor () [0x0003c] in <96d90253f9d945d2b2bd9bd0742f56cf>:0
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.InternalInvoke(System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo,object,object[],System.Exception&)
  at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x0007c] in <12b418a7818c4ca0893feeaaf67f1e7f>:0
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x0009a] in <12b418a7818c4ca0893feeaaf67f1e7f>:0
  at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <12b418a7818c4ca0893feeaaf67f1e7f>:0
  at Server.ScriptCompiler.Invoke (System.String method) [0x00092] in <236550b6c6c647d79e459b499a6dee18>:0
  at Server.Core.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00633] in <236550b6c6c647d79e459b499a6dee18>:0
This exception is fatal, press return to exit
exception inside UnhandledException handler: (null) assembly:/usr/lib/mono/4.5/mscorlib.dll type:IOException member:(null)

vnc works without any issues before installing UL, current pixel format is set to Format32bppPArgb.. any help is much appreciated!

required changes to Tilelist.cs/Tilematrix.cs were also made, am I missing something in my UOFont.cs?

Last edited: