I was able to compile UltimaXNA in Visual Studio 2013 Pro using the XNA Game Studio... but how do I install it? I've been placing the files in the debug bin into the Ultima Gold Folder (the uo install that is in my registry) because that is how UltimaXNA finds your client files... but then I receive errors galore and it crashes.

adl.dropboxusercontent.com_s_23obji6wfpzlrsh_Capture.PNG

I would also like to use the XNA client. I asked the guy who's working on it (Zane) and he said that currently it's only compatible with ML clients. I am using client 7.0.10.3 so... I don't know if it would work with mine. I have a heavily modified client with a lot of art and a custom map that I have put a lot of time into, so that would suck if I had to choose.

I've given up on it to be honest. I like the work zane has done, but if it doesn't work with clients up to 7.0.23.1 it's usless to me. I want to take advantage of the expanded art slots... this client limits that creativity. Plus I tried to use it with UO Client 4.0.2 (Ultima Gold) and it didn't work.

I couldn't get it to work with the client version that XNA comes with recommended inside the config files either.

I'm in the same boat as @gametec, except with a 7.0.15.1 client. Sadness for sure, because I really wanted to explore the possiblities of this.

Compiling worked fine, running was fine (for clients lower than the 6.0.X.X)
Tried it with a newer client and it crashed on entering the world.

Tried an old Mondains Client (v 4.0.11c) could log in and run and all, put armor on and put it back into the backpack, after that thousand of internet explorers opened while the client hung and ultimatly made me reboot my pc. :p

For those who want to try make sure to enter your ultima directory into the settings.cfg

I found someone had forked ultimaxna and made it compatible with .uop files. I compiled it and ran it and it did show lots of the newer content. The client though still needs more work to it because it doesnt have any code to handle functional stuff above ML. Also crashes easily. This stuff takes a ton of work but I wish it was done. Playing UO at 60fps is just something magical.

If I can pool enough money together I can have a client made professionally. I just can't afford much more than 5,000 dollars of my own money into a project like that; and I'd even need to cut that up into installments like a car payment. However it can be done and I know certain people who may be willing to give it a shot. The main issue is that we need someone from the community who understands how the client interacts with the server and then we'd need them to consult with the developer(s) who would be working on the project. It's an expensive proposition, but if there is enough demand then I don't see it being much different to how Shroud of the Avatar got funded.
[doublepost=1488163707][/doublepost]So I found a developer who used to work at Trendy Entertainment (they made the Dungeon Defenders series http://trendyent.com/) who is willing to do the project for 8000.00 U.S.D as a sure thing. So if you're interested let me know.
[doublepost=1488164501][/doublepost]Just so we are clear, doing it my way allows things to be done our way (as a community). That means that we could open a custom client.exe that would allow plugins or packets that can be introduced at anytime with associated custom scripts given to us by the client.exe developer(s). This opens the door to people paying extra for these new packet/script packages - making servers a little more unique. It also allows us to change the way the client.exe interacts with the .mul files; thus allowing us to, in a sense, dump the graphics into a folder and have the client read them from that folder directly. Why? It would allow us to have an infinite amount of graphics, animation/mobiles at our disposal - or as many as your RAM and internet connection can handle. I think it is worth the money.

Last edited:
Lots of ideas, can have the client read the current .mul and .uop files as well as possibly a better file format so the client could use shaders and stuff to enhance things like water or spells with effects. Here is one example
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think a web based html5 client would be badass too then I could play UO at work lol.

Perhaps someone could do a kickstart and raise funds for the new client. 8k Wouldn't be too hard to reach. Would the code stay open sourced?

Lots of ideas, can have the client read the current .mul and .uop files as well as possibly a better file format so the client could use shaders and stuff to enhance things like water or spells with effects. Here is one example
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think a web based html5 client would be badass too then I could play UO at work lol.

Perhaps someone could do a kickstart and raise funds for the new client. 8k Wouldn't be too hard to reach. Would the code stay open sourced?

A web-based client would not happen; it sounds cool, it's definitely possible, but it's not going to happen at this time. The whole purpose of me bringing up the funding was to weed out those who are serious about getting this done, as opposed to those who think its a cool venture; yet don't really want to, or financially can't, do anything to accomplish the goal. It's not a bad thing, but we can't finish this project on hopes and dreams. We need capable people willing to devote time, expertise/knowledge, and money toward the development of this.

Donations as little as 10-20 bucks add up after a while and most people waste that on crap daily. So in essence, if you really want a client to handle shaders and water/spell effects then yes it is always possible. However no volunteer developer is going to put in the quality of work that a professional "pay to play" developer will do; the time and effort it takes to re-develop and app like the client-exe in C# isn't worth the effort in the long run to do it for free. Which is why we see a lot of these open-source client projects go by the wayside; devs get burned out, real life gets in the way, and they just have better more entertaining things to do with their time. lol

So my reasoning for bringing this up as a possibility is simply because I know a few people willing to do it, but just not for free; they want to be paid for their effort.

It makes sense, putting money doesn't necessarily guarantee that you'll get the right person every time. However it does give you a legal footing to stand on when a product isn't created to the customer/client's specification; especially here in the United States.

With that said, this isn't something I'm really wanting wish-washy people on board with; this is a serious offer for like-minded people who are die-hard fans like me. The gift from us to the community is that this paid venture will become open source for everyone to expand on. This will hopefully bring a lot more attention and interest into our community as well; I'd like to see things grow, not shrink.
[doublepost=1488182272][/doublepost]I'm thinking of having them use UltimaXNA as a base anyway and with that, expand on it and finish the client.exe.
[doublepost=1488182836][/doublepost]Also keep in mind that while 8,000 U.S.D is the goal, the price may fluctuate up depending on who else gets on board.

Right now I have 2 developers in mind. One said he'd do it for 8,000 U.S.D, he worked on the Dungeon Defenders series, is a senior level developer, but has no former experience with Ultima Online or how RunUO works. The other person I have in mind may have the time to take on the project in the near future, he's a much more experienced developer in the sense that he knows RunUO and the client really well (as-in well versed with both), but wants real pay for real work. That means we may be looking a much larger price; which I am sure can be negotiated if I can guarantee the funds. We've all been talking about a new custom client for years - it's time to make it happen.

Last edited:
No web client! Comon now thats just negative thinking! its the cool ideas that keep devs motivated but you are right we have to see if we can get just a normal client working first. The problem with ultimaXNA is Zane I think is a full time student so he's no were close to a professional c# programmer and hes using his brain all day studying although he is extremely talented he did also have a lot of help to get ultimaxna to where it is. Hell he probably did ultimaxna to procrastinate from doing school work lol. I've read some of the gitter chats https://gitter.im/ZaneDubya/UltimaXNA and you can just feel the pain when he talks about stuff like just getting the text engine to work. He should setup a paypal although to be honest I don't think he wants to feel obligated to work on it.

I'm working on saving the world to a database and loading from that and have got it working so far but its not ready for production. Programming is hard. Its like playing dark souls with a microphone hard lol. I'm just doing it to keep my brain sharp and I also just happen to have a lot of free time at work lol.

If you get a kick start going I would donate $20 for sure.

Guys start a separate thread. I would like to see uoxna finished its open source and probably over 75% there.when it completes id donate 100$. If uoxna got a Kickstarter i would donate. I would donate again for any hd enhancements and fun stuff.

I'll be getting something going soon. I never had anything negative to say regarding Zane. I think what he's done is amazing which is why I am looking into UltimaXNA as a base for the custom client. A professional developer would do a few things with it: (1) overlook the current code, study it, test it, make improvements, and/or possibly rewrite some of it. Then we'd be looking at moving forward.

One of the major things I was looking into with this project is the possibility of the client interacting with the internet; ie. gumps that would display webpages in-game. It's not a far off idea, I've seen it done before (so I know its possible), but it would be nice to have it as a client-side feature. When I put up a kickstarter for this project I will also be asking whomever decides to take it on to put up a site or webpage showing benchmarks and goals met like zane did so we're not left in the dark. This will be a professional venture.

The only reason I'm emphasizing the open source licensing is because I want it to be clear that once the project is done, it then becomes a community resource, maintenance on it thus becomes free, and anything extra/ or unique is just that: extra; that means that client plugins with associated server-side scripts, may or may not be, a paid venture at the discretion of the developer writing the code. These sub-projects will obviously take time because the community developers will need to verse themselves with the client code and time is money; many of them doing this outside their real world professional lives.

Does that mean that we want the community to become a commercial venture? NO! Just the client side of things if people want to push for extra features, then it's possible through plugins. What we are paying for initially is just a clone copy, a carbon copy, of the client we already have with a few extra features that benefit the aesthetics of the game, smooth game play, and the ease of reading the .mul/ .uop game files. It's just an idea, but I think it would work out.
[doublepost=1488185209][/doublepost]
Guys start a separate thread. I would like to see uoxna finished its open source and probably over 75% there.when it completes id donate 100$. If uoxna got a Kickstarter i would donate. I would donate again for any hd enhancements and fun stuff.
This wouldn't be UltimaXNA, it would use and credit Zane and his work, but it would be a fork of the UltimaXNA code. Thus the name would probably change and the code may or may not rewritten for stability reasons.

Maybe a Kickstarter? I'd donate
[doublepost=1488201106][/doublepost]Another cool feature to keep in mind would be to allow larger z level heights and depths. This would open up possibilities to world builders to make very tall buildings and impressive cities. The current +127 -127 is quite restrictive.

Back