Ok this is a silly question. I have had my server for 757 days with no issues and I think it is time to update but I am unsure how to do this without messing up the players accts. What do I need and where to go get it ?

You're in for some fun. (lol) since your server is a much older version you start by downloading the new distro from the link at the top. Save it to a separate folder and setup a testing server. Use that testing server to slowly incorporate all your scripts, making sure to merge any changes you may have made to default scripts. It's a lot of work but worth updating. You WILL have a lot of errors and changes you need to make from a few years ago. The player accounts are the least of your worries, those shouldn't be an issue at all. Once you have all your custom scripts sorted out and working properly you should be able to just drop the saves folder into the testing server and it should work fine without losing any accounts. Like I said, it's not an easy task to go from such an old ServUO distro. going to take some work depending on how much custom work you've done and how many custom scripts you have.

Just do it slowly on a separate test server until all bugs are worked out so it doesn't mess with your live server. Good luck! I am in the same boat. I am in the process of updating a server from 2015 to the current ServUO.

They have changed a LOT during that time; not just the usual scripts but entire systems were re-written. It's a real nightmare! On my perpetually-in-development shard I've been tinkering with for almost 2 years, I picked a point where the client and server will not change except for bug fixes and miscellaneous content additions. I just got tired of chasing the moving target that is "real" UO.

You're not the only one with the book issue though. See:

My guess is that it would be something to do with the latest client if that's what you and the other topic poster have in common.

I am marking all my classes as partial putting the customizations in a separate file. So when I copy i do not lose what is important.

I picked a point where the client and server will not change except for bug fixes and miscellaneous content additions. I just got tired of chasing the moving target that is "real" UO.
Yup...I realized this about 7 years ago. That is why my game is stuck at RunUO 2.2 and client 7.0.15. You would need to keep updating all of the time and staying current, while making sure your custom stuff is compatible with each update.

Yup...I realized this about 7 years ago. That is why my game is stuck at RunUO 2.2 and client 7.0.15. You would need to keep updating all of the time and staying current, while making sure your custom stuff is compatible with each update.

Maybe one day that won't be a problem i updated to this last repo and said okay no more updating ServUO for a wile as it took me about 2-3 months.

You're in for some fun. (lol) since your server is a much older version you start by downloading the new distro from the link at the top. Save it to a separate folder and setup a testing server. Use that testing server to slowly incorporate all your scripts, making sure to merge any changes you may have made to default scripts. It's a lot of work but worth updating. You WILL have a lot of errors and changes you need to make from a few years ago. The player accounts are the least of your worries, those shouldn't be an issue at all. Once you have all your custom scripts sorted out and working properly you should be able to just drop the saves folder into the testing server and it should work fine without losing any accounts. Like I said, it's not an easy task to go from such an old ServUO distro. going to take some work depending on how much custom work you've done and how many custom scripts you have.

Just do it slowly on a separate test server until all bugs are worked out so it doesn't mess with your live server. Good luck! I am in the same boat. I am in the process of updating a server from 2015 to the current ServUO.
Okay this should be fun ROFL and thanks for that info :)
Post automatically merged:

Ok me again. So am i just putting my customs into the new one?

Last edited:
Reactions: ExX
Yeah, put in all of your custom scripts first, it is best to do only a few at a time and reboot server, it makes it easier to track down any error that might occur. You do not want to put your saves into the new server until this is done just in case any character has a custom item on their person, at their home or in the bank ect.. that will cause problems. Once all of the customs are in you probably want to make sure that the settings are the same for things like number of houses per account, player caps ect in case a player in your saves is over the limit. Then you should be able to copy the saves folder from your existing server and overwrite the folder in the new one.

Well I know for a fact that books work fine (just tested) on a new install of ServUO with the updated client. So as you add custom scripts / changes check books and see if they break from one of the scripts you add. It could be just using an outdated ServUO or you will find what script breaks them.

Should I be working on the tranfer of my old server to the New in Debug mode?

Should I be working on the tranfer of my old server to the New in Debug mode?

I didn't do mine in debug... i just moved all my customs over to the new repo, Then i opened winmerge to add in all my distro file changes.
It takes alot of time depending how many edits you have to the core files mainly if you don't have any then their is not too much work.
Just go slow and don't overwhelm yourself also take brakes here an their even if it is just to get some fresh coffee!

I didn't do mine in debug... i just moved all my customs over to the new repo, Then i opened winmerge to add in all my distro file changes.
It takes alot of time depending how many edits you have to the core files mainly if you don't have any then their is not too much work.
Just go slow and don't overwhelm yourself also take brakes here an their even if it is just to get some fresh coffee!
Oh boy whats winmerge lol Sorry I have had my server public since 2017 and this is the 1st time doing this hehe

Oh boy whats winmerge lol Sorry I have had my server public since 2017 and this is the 1st time doing this hehe

It allows you to compare two scripts to see changes in one that the other does not have.

Back