I was working on a flag animation when i had an idea to store the animation in a mobile.
Mobiles consist of 300-1050 frames, featuring 5 directions and several actions like walking, running, attacking, and so on.
There would be some great advantages in patching a flag as a mobile.
- just one file to patch -> much less work and used space in the muls
- all 8 directions available (three would be "for free" due to being mirrored )
- destroyable
- many actions possible: no wind, a little wind, strong wind, and other things. Even a burning flag if you want to

This could be used for many other things like siege weapons, mill-wheels, smoke from a chimney... etc.
My basic plan would be to freeze the mobile and then run animations with Mobile.Animate.
I didn't write a script in years, so before i start... what are your opinions on this?
Can you see problems with this?
Do you know a simple way to suppress the little "movements" while standing around?
Is their an elegant solution to run an animation indefinitely?

I love this idea.

And yes, there is existing code you can reference for this if you can find it - CharacterStatues.

They use a CanSee() override to force-send an animation state packet to the client.

I'm not sure but I think I did something like that years ago ( not the flags and stuff). I called it anim mixing or something. Did that in 2014. But I just mixed existing animations. Like I would take one frame from one animation then from another and so on.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Love the idea as well Feynman!

As Voxpire said, Character Statues are the perfect starting point.

Thanks for the hints! I will have a look at that :)

@baldunum
Is the character in the video a player character? I mean, is it still controlled by a player?
I had a look at your other videos, interesting stuff :)
Did you change the animation for the "wall of stone" or how did you stop the animation at that certain frame?

Back