Boldunum, as you may have guessed from the post you responded to earlier, I want to try to create a shard very similar to the experience right at launch but with the bugs fixed. Well, not the entertaining bugs :) The specific feature set I'd like:
  • Classic MIDI music
  • Chest login screen
  • Bounty system
  • Non-insta-whack guards (town takeovers anyone?)
  • Classic dynamic quest system (yes, this was a thing in '97)
  • Magic jewelry (ring of invisibility, etc)
  • Classic skill / spell mechanics (magic reflect, poison)
  • Some quality of life improvements (bank checks, potion kegs)
I'd like to use that as a canvas to develop custom content against. Not custom art, just scripting and the like. PvP back in that era was insane. I'd like to try to bring that back.

Edit: I don't know if I'd call the above my idea of the perfect shard, but it's what I'm interested in at the moment.

The perfect shard for me is a shard with a mixed up ERA, custom realistic resources (i'm tired of the platinum...), improved crafting system, no murderer penalities, no custom houses (nobody knows how to build properly these days), good custom areas, focused on one map, all felucca ruleset with old spells mechanics (reflect phys/magic, paralyze, etc.), only humans, no donations, hunger horses, realistic spawners, no uber things, no flashy colors, no object property list, and some stuffs in extra but realistic in it's whole.

I like when things tend to be dull and following a strict "if it looks realistic it's right" guide line, so the users can create their own content within the game to fill these "missing fun holes".

That's what i was aiming forward for my own shard, but i must say i was not really motivated and there was nearly no playerbase after 3~ years, so i've cut it xD
That is no advice, that is just how i perceive the perfect shard.

After I'm done with my survival kind of shard for a quick game for players to enjoy, and to test combat/game mechanics I'll begin work on a shard with:
  • No Magic - as for spells, just ability to craft magic stuff into weapons,armor and stuff. Say Fire explosion sword,axe whatever.
  • Combat skills gain for certain weapon and not as a general skill. Say you equip a longsword your swordsmanship due to you having used it would be 100, you equip broadsword it's less.
  • No Insta kill guards
  • Resources are not randomized. As in, you chop Oak tree you get oak logs. You mine ore round britain you get Iron, do that around say Cove get gold. It's all location,location
  • Reworked guild system. Guilds can take control of Towns, that's basically the main bit.
  • Advanced Crafting, so that ore smelted at different temperatures give different properties to ingots you make swords or whatever you make it into. Brittle versus hard etc Also, gump based crafting where you actually get to do stuff (I had a prototype done a while ago)
  • Advanced Combat, in short - more player involving
  • AI for every mob to be unique. So some are dumb and just run towards you, some group or whatever. Just adds to the variety also, they never die. So you kill it, it becomes a ghost then when it resurrects it gets stronger as it gains skills just like players
  • Vendors sell what they can make. So Blacksmith with 100 skill obviously gonna sell you pretty much everything. Oh and he would need materials and gold for the work, not just gold. Also that would mean Britain would have different stuff you can buy than say Yew.
  • Gold removal from mobs. No gold should be created. Period. Certain amount of gold is spread around towns(say 10 million each). As for mob killing for gold, well it's either resources or they would collect ghosts of the mobs and sell them to Ghost buyers or something. I haven't thought through the idea yet.
  • Criminal System that's reworked more to it being town based. So say you do something bad in Britain you're criminal until you get punished to whatever sentence is for whatever you've done. Gold fine, Resource gathering or even jail sentence. Some town's would not have jail sentence due to them not having a jail.So probably exile for some time would be as an replacement of that.
Those are few but first I gotta finish my survival kind of shard, no zombies tho. It's kinda build up to this shard anyway. But depending on success of it I'll see if it's worth creating a full shard. Since the major stuff will be there.

So my ideal shard would be one where I try to use as much stuff as the game offers as possible.

Warning: Goes slightly off subject :D

If you're looking to build "the perfect shard" that everyone will love, I'm sorry to say it's not going to happen.

I personally enjoyed T2A and Ren era because that's when I played OSI and actually had a guild, friends, people to run around with and chat.
However, I hated the idea of losing everything if I died and couldn't get back to the corpse in time.

UO is great, but I often feel like a little behind "in the times" of modern MMOs.

- Don't lose your stuff when you die ( no bless or insurance required )
- Archery doesn't use ammo
- Run while casting
- You can sell anything to any vendor; instead of having to run from one vendor to another to sell stuff
- Casting doesn't require regs

I may not play a lot of games, but I can't think of another RPG or MMO that has those certain things that makes UO so tedious to play at times.
Well...other than First Person Shooter games that do require ammo...

Although I applaud Broadsword for their update in handling gold.

Back