So New...
I am brand new to running/modifying a UO server. I currently take online classes for software development. I have taken 2 C# classes so far, but I am no expert. I have been trying to get the files straight to host a server on and off for a while now. Thankfully the bazookas posted this video https://www.servuo.com/threads/how-...view-edit-with-visual-studio.3276/#post-21036. I have successfully used this method to host a server on my home computer using Visual Studio and UOSteam with ServUO.

I am not looking for anyone to code anything for me so no worries there. I am honestly just looking for some general info so that I can begin digging. I know from reading through forum posts that there are quite a few competent developers on here.

I have some ideas for individual scripts that I want to write, but I don't think diving in and attempting to code yet is wise. I am hoping to get some info about the game and files themselves before I really do anything.

Technical Information I hope to gather:

1. Any information that can give me a better understanding the UO file structure and how it operates.
2. How to host my server in a way that will allow other computers to connect for testing purposes.
3. The best workflow method for successfully testing and implementing changes without file corruption or newb failures.

Immediate Interests

1. I would to know more about map and gump editing.
2. I want to eliminate some features so that I can have a more simplistic world to work with for now (Things like superfluous skills and all but Fel map areas) This seems like a potential nightmare with the amount of inheritance I have seen in the files thus far.

Potential Future Scripts

1. Custom crafting system (gem armor, new leather types, new ingot types, new wood types.
2. Races (Only thought of a few since this is all so far away)
3. Classes (These would correlate to the races)
4. New Tamables ( I want this to be fully functional including: lore gumps, bonding, AI)

Thank You For Reading!

I appreciate the time taken to read this post. I realize this is quite a lot of information and I have no illusion or desire for this to be spoon fed to me. I am used to doing independent research and this will be no different. Any help expediting this process would be amazing. I am eager to get started but I am making myself take the proper time to orient myself and do this correctly. I look forward to any responses!

hi, iam new too :) what i found out... try to get ultimaonline trial download (high seas) and patch it to the end then get "razors latest"
after this get servuo publish 54 from this site, unpack rar go into folder and click on "compile.WIN.bat
and click urself through this.. it will ask u to create admin account!
After this go in folder of servuoserver again and click on ServUO.exe (it could be that u here have to create acc and not before iiam not sure)
now server starts. change to desktop and start razor, insert "127.0.0.1" and port 2593 now click play... uo should now connect to ur server, create ur first char and walk around... :) after this u should add some script to ur server like nerum distro (for premiumspawner)

Thanks for your response. I have the server up and running using a similar method. I actually managed to crash it yesterday trying to save altered Mul files ;). No worries though I will have it back up and running again today. I would like to know if anyone has any experience converting UOP files to MUL and vice versa. I used UOFiddler to take the UOP file and split it so that I could add art. Saving the new file corrupted my art.mul i believe. Will be working on this for now. I got much farther in my quest to understand the file structure. Still need some help permanently hosting my server so that I can test secondary accounts and such.As it stands I have it hosted on my home computer which would be fine if I could log in as a secondary account from my laptop...I will be tring to get this figured out as well.
Again thanks for the helpful response!

Thank you for the suggestion! If that is the MUL converter that now comes with the updated UOFiddler with UOP support then that is what I used. I think that I made an error somewhere in the save process. I never got to the repackaging stage. I was attempting to follow a tutorial for adding backpacks to paperdolls and I had no issue getting the TileData or the Gump art to save. The item art is where I ran into the error and ultimately realized I had file type issues and ran accross the plug-in. I was able to split the UOP and add the Item. I saved and checked the art.MUL file and confirmed the file size had become larger. But the file was ultimately corrupted.

I have run into a new issue every day it seems and I'm loving it. I appreciate the responses more than you realize.

Back