Now that the shard is up and running on the VPS. {Thank you for all your help. :) } I would like to get a better understanding of work flow.

The goal, at the moment is to keep the shard up and running with as little down time as possible. I am a person that just has to tinker. Can't leave well enough alone, never could.

Is there a way :) I could work with a copy of the shard on my PC. Then upload the changes once a week or so to the VPS? Just taking the shard down long enough to upload, test, and then hit run?... With as little down time as possible?... With out of coarse wiping all our characters in the process?

Yes.

You can follow the same process you did for setting the server up on your VPS, on your home PC. Then connect using Razor to your local IP, 127.0.0.1 for the same machine, or the local IP for an on network server.

Github?
I have a working of my shard on a VPS. There are many changes I would like to make as everyone would.
I want to keep the shard up and running on the VPS. So I also have a working copy of the shard to use, update, break and fix on my PC.
I have not figured a way to move the updated shard from my PC to the VPS.
How do you all move your updated copy to your server?

If you have your shard hosted in a private GIT or SVN repository, you can install TortoiseSVN/GIT on the server machine itself and chekout your shard's repository on the VPS in the same way that you can with your local PC.

You then simply commit your changes on your local PC to your repository, then pull them on the VPS, voilla!

In most cases you don't even need to take the shard down to update the files, meaning you can pull your changes, then do a normal restart. Circumstances in which this isn't possible include when the server exe or any other compiled library (dll) needs to be updated. Pulling changes will not work because the files will be in contention, used by the server exe.

Yes, you can run your live shard out of the repository as-is on your VPS - just make sure to update your ignored files list to include things like Saves, Logs, log files - anything that should remain unique to that instance of the server.

Do not store saves or other dynamic files (files that get programatically updated by the server on a regular basis), in your repository.

:)
Got it!,,,thank you.
[doublepost=1488906906][/doublepost]Are there any significant advantages to either the GIT Repository or the SVN Repository?

Currently I am reading about both. Git, I do not understand in the slightest. SVN seams to be will documented, giving me a better chance to learn.
Both are a steep learning curve. But well worth the time invested to learn. :)

Back