So, in playing around here, I've discovered that GUMP 3 gives you the option to pass along text for your keyword. (Very nice if you have speak a keyword or phrase to an NPC to progress the quest.)

My question is: Is there a keyword modifier that you can put in place as a 'wildcard'? In other words, I have the keyword portion working right when you pass along the correct phrase, but is there something you can put into the keyword portion that basically says if anything ELSE is passed to the NPC, trigger this?

Line 30 is is configured as the Keyword from 20, which triggers the right gump.
However, line 40 is what I can't figure out. If I leave it blank, then the response automatically appears, even when I don't enter anything. (And it is configured to be dependent on 20 as well.)

I hope that makes sense in what I'm trying to do.

Try using * as the wildcard...so if the player says "*", basically anything, that happens.
Here is what you're going to run into:
1. XmlDialogs always go in one direction. So if you have multiple entries that are based on similar (but different) conditions, when the XmlQuestNPC is triggered, the XmlDialog starts at the first condition, if True, it stops, otherwise it continues until it hits the first True condition. No biggie, that makes sense, BUT unless you respawn the XmlQuestNPC after each time a player speaks to him, the XmlDialog will pick up where it left off with the conditions.
2. Syntax is oh so important! "Hello world!" is not the same as "hello World!" or even "hello world!" when it comes to detecting player's speech. If you want to be specific, try to give proper clues so players know what they "should" say.

I would suggest finding another alternative to trigger line 40, or perhaps the alternative is: having the keyword speech Xmlspawner set to a duration, say 1 minute. If players don't say the proper keyword in 1 minute, it triggers another Xmlspawner that spawns ______

So, for example:

Line 30 /Keyword:Yes/Send's a Gump that says X
Line 40/Keyword: * (assuming that works)/Send's a Gump that says Y

If a player hits 30 and says the correct keyword to trigger the X gump (or even action), then the next player that talks to him won't get anything, because it is waiting to trigger 40?

Just making sure that I'm understanding that correctly.

It's not that it's waiting to trigger 40, it's that 40 is the next entry with a specific keyword/condition. I think I'm confusing you Lol Basically if you have two or more entries that could True at the same time, the first condition that is True is the one that is used. Condition 1 - Player carrying a Thin Long Sword, named Steel Toothpick, Condition 2 - Player carrying a double-bladed axe, named Tree Hacker. What happens if this player is carrying both? The first Condition that is True is used. You could change Condition 2, in this example, to say player must be carrying a Thin Long Sword, named Steel Toothpick AND a double-bladed axe, named Tree Hacker.

Gotcha.

I haven't even touched on the "Condition" field yet. I'm assuming that's where you can cause certain things to trigger if a condition is met? More or less, a 'TrigOnCarried' (or whatever else) that is just dependent on that one line, right?

Back