I was trying to use the xmlquestnpc tutorial but I am having an issue. After my gump closes, it stops! It's like the gump is not sending the keyword when an option is selected.

Please post your NPC file here and I will have a look. Chances are, the keyword is not spelled exactly the same from one entry to the next, or you might not have entered the DependsOn for the line entry.

Please post your NPC file here and I will have a look. Chances are, the keyword is not spelled exactly the same from one entry to the next, or you might not have entered the DependsOn for the line entry.
thanks Tass23. I am at work right now. The problem is with the keyword that is supposed to come from the gump. If I take the keyword out of the yes line it works. Keyword yes (no caps) just like the yes in the gump command string.
[doublepost=1488546410][/doublepost]How do I find out what keyword gump3 returns? I have tried different gumps.

Do you know which Gump version you are using for the QuestNPC (Gump 0, Gump 1, etc)? You mentioned you're following the tutorial, which uses Gump 4. If that is the case, then I would take a close look at your Response structure. It should be built like this:
End of QuestNPC Dialog.;First response text you want the player to see in the dialog window.;Keyword1;Second response text you want the player to see in the dialog window.;Keyword2

Note the ; separating the npc dialog with the text the player sees and the responses with keywords.

Do you know which Gump version you are using for the QuestNPC (Gump 0, Gump 1, etc)? You mentioned you're following the tutorial, which uses Gump 4. If that is the case, then I would take a close look at your Response structure. It should be built like this:
End of QuestNPC Dialog.;First response text you want the player to see in the dialog window.;Keyword1;Second response text you want the player to see in the dialog window.;Keyword2

Note the ; separating the npc dialog with the text the player sees and the responses with keywords.
yes I copy/pasted straight from tutorial. I even tried adding the space;space tried using different keywords as well. At this moment I have it set to gump3 but I don't know what it returns.

Sadly, I left this out of the tutorial, so it's here and I went back and added it in the tutorial as well. This should help :)

Gump,0 = A gump with just a done button and text.
Gump,1 = A gump with yes/no buttons and text.
Gump,2 = A gump with a textbox for players to type in and okay button with text.
Gump,3 = A gump with I Accept! button and No thanks, I decline button with text.
Gump,4 = A gump with Two custom answer buttons with text.
Gump,5 = A gump that is totally blank with no text.
Gump,6 = A gump with the NPC's name, a blue line at the top and an okay button with no text.

Gump 3 is sending I Accept! and No thanks as keywords

I can't tell by the picture (kind of hard to see on my screen here) but make sure that you have the format as:

keyword;answer;keyword;answer

I may be that way (again hard to see) but it is possible that you're using : instead of ; between those answers?

Btw, some of those answers are rather amusing. LOL

You'll have to PM me the NPC file that you created when you Saved the dialog window. All QuestNPCs should be in the XmlQuestNPC folder, somewhere in your ServUO directory (root I'm guessing, but you can set whatever path you want in Xmlspawner settings).

Looking at the screenshot, you have an extra line entry, and that is what is causing the hiccup. Line 0 and Line 10 are correct, but the entry for Line 20 should be combined with Line 10. The keyword is what gets the Gump to trigger for the player, so when you string Line entries together, you still must use a keyword to eventually "get" somewhere.

Nadious, I appreciate the help, but that confused the sh...Umm me. If I put the keyword before the answer the gump says the keyword instead of the answer...
Tass23, The Gump opens! are you saying I need to add keyword Hi! to line 20 as well?

edit: I have switched to gump3 and I get the message that I have accepted the quest but the dia doesn't compute..
[doublepost=1488551754][/doublepost]when using gump3 do I have to add a keyword? or just the question?
[doublepost=1488552762][/doublepost]the problem has to be with the keyword somehow. if I take it out the thing works. It just doesn't wait for you to pick an answer.

Last edited:
I'm saying Line 10 and Line 20 should be combined (keyword AND Gump in one entry for line 10). Line 20 and Line 30 would then be the keyword responses from Line 10.

I'm saying Line 10 and Line 20 should be combined (keyword AND Gump in one entry for line 10). Line 20 and Line 30 would then be the keyword responses from Line 10.
Ok I tried that. still the same except now the gump covers his text. Given the nature of the quest, maybe that isn't a bad thing people will just accept at ramdom... hehehehe. I was even able to add a third option to the GUMP. a maybe the gump shows up and appears to be working as advertised it just isn't sending the keyword!
[doublepost=1488582313][/doublepost]Update!!!!! I found the problem! By pure accident/Luck! See I punted, deleted my whole thing and started over. I followed the tutorial line for line and didn't get cute and think I could vary stuff. Turns out, If you use the NPC's name as your configfile, you are mildly retarded and will spend two days wasting yours,Tass23's and Nadious's time! Also! Do NOT I repeat do NOT set the configfile manually on the npc itself...
Now I will build another just to make sure I got all the retard out...
Thanks Guys!

Ok I tried that. still the same except now the gump covers his text. Given the nature of the quest, maybe that isn't a bad thing people will just accept at ramdom... hehehehe. I was even able to add a third option to the GUMP. a maybe the gump shows up and appears to be working as advertised it just isn't sending the keyword!
[doublepost=1488582313][/doublepost]Update!!!!! I found the problem! By pure accident/Luck! See I punted, deleted my whole thing and started over. I followed the tutorial line for line and didn't get cute and think I could vary stuff. Turns out, If you use the NPC's name as your configfile, you are mildly retarded and will spend two days wasting yours,Tass23's and Nadious's time! Also! Do NOT I repeat do NOT set the configfile manually on the npc itself...
Now I will build another just to make sure I got all the retard out...
Thanks Guys!
Yep, indeed, you always want to spawn the NPC from the configfile, nice catch! No worries though, it's never a waste of time, especially if you solve the issue ;)

Tass23 You should see the new version! It is a work of ART!
Now to figure out how to award karma and gold to the brave soul that does it...

edit:
Lmao I figured it out! after you do the quest, you have to kill him before he tells anyone!

Last edited:
Back