Regarding the XMlSpawners in the repository, should we just set them all to false? I see no performance downfalls to keeping it true. Thoughts? I would love it if someone who is smarter than me would chime in? @Voxpire?

I cant really comment on this, I dont use XmlSpawners so I can't predict the outcome.

I talked with Voxpire a while back about xmlspawner and all it's perks and flaws in a small bit of details, at the end of the day we kind of agreed it's good for prototyping but because it's having to phrase strings it's going to be process intensive when it shouldn't be. He's good enough at C# scripting that he wouldn't even prototype with them but because my shard's staff aren't good with c# I have them prototype with the spawners and then I run behind them and clean up and make the real work all done in C# when I have the time.

So the old spawners are better than xmlspawner for standard spawning purposes? I have often thought of this, that xmlspawners have A LOT of stuff that is rarely used. Would it be beneficial, or even worthwhile to have standard spawners instead of xmlspawners for normal spawn?

If you made a converter I'd be interested to see If It affects the server load much on Heritage. I'd compare xml vs regular, on world saves ect ect.

I love [xmlfind but I'll mostly code in anything special I want / need scripted, and not use xml.

Well, you could still use xmlspawners and the features including xml find, the only difference is the standard world spawners would be The regular spawners.

Maybe a config option for starting a fresh server, then a command for current servers. I'd like to test on a populated server. Of course, any edits to XmlSpawners would be wiped. We could set conditions, of course.

Ok, got the conversion working. Basically, for existing shards, it cycles through the xml docs in the Spawner folder, and looks for that spawner in the world via UniqueID. Some spawns that don't have a unique ID, use location/map to convert. It's going to omit spawners that have special characters in it that XmlSpawner uses, ie comma, <>, {} etc. Standard spawners do not support functionality for these special characters.

Now, from a fresh install, do we want to use standard spawners as default? Or XmlSpawners as default?

Ok, look in my fork, in my master. There is a command, [ConvertSpawners which will bring up a gump. Now, it will only convert spawners that are defined in the Spawns folder. It will also omit conversion where spawn lines have special XmlSpawner characters, such as Mongbat/hue/25 etc.

Also, starting a fresh shard is going to be tricky. XMLSpawner spawner load methods are so clunky, I got a migrane looking through it earlier. Since some spawn lines have these special characters only supported by XmlSpawner, it needs to know to make these on XmlSpawners. I honesty don't feel like doing an XmlSpawner re-write regarding spawn loading.

Ok. For now, it's a command. I don't want to make it automatic until we've tested it. So far, on my end, it works awesome adn haven't had any issues with the older spawners.

Um, yes they will unfortunately. However, I added a property in MondainQuester that should look for the quester type, as opposed to the actual instance of the quester.

Back