So, after the discussion today so thoughtfully initiated by my dear friend Goober, I got to thinking.

Imagine what we would have if people worked together instead of competing with each other.

@Ravenwolfe hit the nail on the head. I know a lot of people here come for help with their servers, but there's still a good many of us who come here simply because we love the game, and we love the work, and we love even more to share this with other people. I would wager that if these people decided to come together, and take the time to make every negotiation and compromise needed, that the product of this collaboration would be something great.

I don't know if it's possible, because of the spectrum of opinion on what the game should be, but if there is no attempt made...

Great words, Enroq :)

I think a big issue all along is not having separate tasks for the 'developers'. They shouldn't all just be free lancing, rather there should be a couple/few groups.

One 'group' just to handle the bug tracker
One group of coders to handle bugs
One group of coders to handle new development.
One group to handle the website/forums

And the rest of us to handle testing, input etc.. as we always have.

There should be more than one person able to access to the actual GitHub, so updates can be put in when they are ready.

This is a game of trust, not power. That is where the other one went wrong. There was just too much power tripping over there, and it made beggars out of the rest of us. I have only one person in mind to thank for that, but thats another topic.

How to manage this.. I do not have the answer to. But I know it must be a group effort, not just a click of friends that want to keep the glory to themselves. (and I am not meaning that as if thats what I think is going on around here.. just saying from past exp.)

I am more than happy to keep this conversation going, I think its just what we need :)

Oh, and as far as OSI accuracy.. well, we are only human, and there is only so much detailed information on the Stratics or UOGuide websites.. So I do not think we need to be anal about accuracy, more than just making complete as possible progress. It is up to the individual shard owner/operator to make their own tweaks or whatever to make the accuracy they feel is correct. We (ServUO) should only try to be as close as possible, with whatever resources are at hand.

I'm definately on board with this, tho I am no project leader. I am more than willing to dedicate time, money, and my hosting if needed.

i propose we make the most osi accurate second age shard EVAR...with customs........... :D jk

i'll offer my paypal account to hold all donations......:D jk

Seriously though, sounds like an interesting project. I've never been a fan of the "osi accuracy" race. If i want to play osi, I'll go play osi. And pardon me if i sound like a goody two-shoes, but out of respect I feel like we shouldn't try to copy them anyway.

That being said, from what i understand, there are a lot of things missing. And it would take a lot of researching and coding to play catch-up.

One idea I had a while ago, that I think would be a pretty cool option for a group project is a shard built for other shards to come on and advertise their own shard.
With UltimaLive (I'm still freaking out at how awesome that thing is) now available. you could even give a shard a map or two (maybe would require a small donation?) to spawn, or something.

It would be something like, player logs in, goes to Brit where different shards are advertising their features, etc. Player walks up to one and speaks with the Shard Rep. or whatever. Could be a live person or just an NPC. Gets the log in information for the shard and goes and plays the other shard.
In some cases, the other shard could donate to get a map dedicated to their shard, so they can give players some items, and tele the player to their own map and let them run around and get a little "sample" of how the server looks/feels. maybe some custom items. whatever.

Obviously there's a lot of ideas to think about and work out a good solution for. But I think it would be pretty interesting and way more interactive than the typical shard advertise site.

One idea I had a while ago, that I think would be a pretty cool option for a group project is a shard built for other shards to come on and advertise their own shard.

I don't think many players would come to a place like that, and that would mean most of these people would be advertising to other people advertising?

Thats one of those ideas that sound out there in left field, but could also prove to be a great approach.. Hard to say.

*actually.. if that shard was like the ServUO test shard.. used for testing and advertising... hmm

Yeah, I agree Dian - it might make a great test server. I was more going for.. a place people came to play.

At some point we'll have to agree on era, features, and whether or not we should use a custom map (which I'm probably in favor of at this point).

Custom map for.. a ServUO test shard? As great as that would be, it would be very different from a distro server package. Game mechanics would be fine, but so many things about the server have area stuff embedded in the scripts for locations, regions and such.. It would make the test server very different than the distro.

I thought that a distro was always meant to be accurate to OSI shard just for the base line. A starting point, really. Can you elaborate a bit on what your thinking is on using a custom map for this? Because if its something beyond my thinking, and sounds good... I might know of a custom map that could be used.

arrg, connection is timing out again..

I think I misunderstood you Enroq.. you are talking about a shard in general, not just a test server for a distro package, huh?

Back