DO NOT USE - HIGHLY UNSTABLE

Norman Lancaster submitted a new resource:

AntiAFK Resource Gathering Protection - Prevents players from gathering resources unattended

Function
Every time a player attempts to gather a resource or get or use a BOD, there is a 1/1000 chance that a captcha gump will appear to test if they are AFK or not. This will occur a maximum of one per hour. Each time the player fails a captcha a naughty point is put on their account. These points decay at the rate of one per day. If a player reaches three naughty points their account will be suspended until all naughty points have decayed.

Installation
Unzip the contents...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited:
LoL! Glad you mentioned that :) This I will stay faaaar away from this one, but the concept still is interesting :)

I still believe in a cooldown concept i want to add to my shard in future. If we look realistical, no human goes chopping wood for 200 hours in row without a rest. You loose power, you get weakened and in the end you waste time. My theoretical concept were, that the more a player farm, the less he gets until a point he gets nothing. After some rest the results should raise again. So there would be a breakpoint were scripting is useful (or manual handling) and were the script user should calculate if pixel > energy cost of computer.

That isn't a bad concept, create a percentage type table that is used based on a timer that resets at x time , or resets if logged out for an x time, etc.

That isn't a bad concept, create a percentage type table that is used based on a timer that resets at x time , or resets if logged out for an x time, etc.
The idea was also adding some messages telling the player that the character is very tired and when he reached the null point saying like (sample lumberjacking) "You are to tired to hold any axe, go home and get some sleep". I played on many freeshards as hardcore scripter in euo, oeuo and stealth. I automated champs, group pvp, gauntlet, bods and any kind of harvesting and even adapted to many custom systems to farm afk. The most replies were AFK-Checks or ingame visits. Both can be handled via script but i must say vnc gumps are a bit harder. The human part can be captured with basical interactions and a warner to phone\icq\mail\ nuke sound on speakers that the user get back to the attention.
AFK-Checks are challenging people like me. If i were still a player and Staff would "provoke" me with AFK-Checks i would do everything to automate it as challenge reply. So i believe soft limitations without giving any insight of the calculation are much better. It allows to scale a fair ground for non hardcore scripter and allows to limit power scripter.
We also need to keep in mind, even 95% of those "hardcore" scripter are leecher. They cannot handle a complex new envirement.

Such system can be used on many engines such as Quests (Like Heartwood with runic rewards), Harvesting, Rare Loot drops, Bods and others.
I personaly would love, if a vendor who receive bods would say after a big stack "Sorry I´m busy now, come back later" or if the reward gets reduced ;D

Might I suggest doing something a bit less intrusive to the population?

Obviously AFK resource gathering is something that really sucks. As a player who plays legitly, and a server owner trying to balance an economy.

What I have done, and mind you, it requires somewhat active staff to monitor every once in a while, is create a system that tracks users whenever they either:

Tame a creature
Fish
Mine
Lumberjack

Once a threshold has been hit for a player, it will output the player onto a list of "Potential AFKers"
Click on their name in the list, go to them, inspect their activity for yourself, or send over a Matching Anti-AFK gump. They have 3 chances to pass the gump in a minute. Should they fail, they are instantly set to jail on a automatic timer. The timer increases each time an offense has been commited. You can alter the offenses in case you were wrong for any reason (usually your not =P)

After a certain amt of offenses are committed, staff can personally decide what punishment to give or even ban the users account or delete the character manually.

Out of all the systems we've used, this ones seems the most well received. Its not automatic, it tells staff the last time they were AFK checked, and is really quite easy to use.

Anyways, just my thoughts.

Cheers

That sounds like the best way to handle it that I've ever heard.

It only effects the players that are potentially afk gathering.
Is it a system you're willing or able to share?

Obviously AFK resource gathering is something that really sucks. As a player who plays legitly, and a server owner trying to balance an economy.

What I have done, and mind you, it requires somewhat active staff to monitor every once in a while, is create a system that tracks users whenever they either:

Tame a creature
Fish
Mine
Lumberjack

Once a threshold has been hit for a player, it will output the player onto a list of "Potential AFKers"
Click on their name in the list, go to them, inspect their activity for yourself, or send over a Matching Anti-AFK gump. They have 3 chances to pass the gump in a minute. Should they fail, they are instantly set to jail on a automatic timer. The timer increases each time an offense has been commited. You can alter the offenses in case you were wrong for any reason (usually your not =P)

After a certain amt of offenses are committed, staff can personally decide what punishment to give or even ban the users account or delete the character manually.

Out of all the systems we've used, this ones seems the most well received. Its not automatic, it tells staff the last time they were AFK checked, and is really quite easy to use.

Cheers
Did you ever release this publicly per chance? Lots of people could benefit from this.

Did you ever release this publicly per chance? Lots of people could benefit from this.

it'd be really easy to implement
-- just assign an array for various counters in playermobile
-- increment the specified counter for a specified activity, such as lumberjacking
-- if the counter incrementation exceeds a threshold, than add that player to a list<PlayerMobile>
-- then create a command w/ an accesslevel for gamemaster or whatever,
-- and populate a gump w/ the list<PlayerMobile>
-- send a message to all online staff members that a player was added to the list

as for the player,
-- when the player is added to the list, also send a gump capacha and start a refresh timer
-- create a variable of successfully passing or not the results of that gump interaction
-- if that variable exceeds a threshold, than add that player to another list potential AFKers whom failed the capacha or remove from the above list,
or at this point disconnect the player or whatever consequence

probably doesn't need an array of counters just 1 counter, otherwise players could automate different activities to bypass the separate thresholds. then you basically need a capacha of some sort

Last edited:
it'd be really easy to implement
-- just assign an array for various counters in playermobile
-- increment the specified counter for a specified activity, such as lumberjacking
-- if the counter incrementation exceeds a threshold, than add that player to a list<PlayerMobile>
-- then create a command w/ an accesslevel for gamemaster or whatever,
-- and populate a gump w/ the list<PlayerMobile>
-- send a message to all online staff members that a player was added to the list

as for the player,
-- when the player is added to the list, also send a gump capacha and start a refresh timer
-- create a variable of successfully passing or not the results of that gump interaction
-- if that variable exceeds a threshold, than add that player to another list potential AFKers whom failed the capacha or remove from the above list,
or at this point disconnect the player or whatever consequence

probably doesn't need an array of counters just 1 counter, otherwise players could automate different activities to bypass the separate thresholds. then you basically need a capacha of some sort
Be happy to discuss this more if you can help us create it. we would like a system like this.

This already exists, this was just an expansion onto that system iirc, I would too like to see the updated system but anyways this is what I use:

This already exists, this was just an expansion onto that system iirc, I would too like to see the updated system but anyways this is what I use:
This is not the same as

Tame a creature
Fish
Mine
Lumberjack

Cheers
Captcha is invasive and no player wants it. A system that can be manually checked by admins is what we are looking for without the need to manually jump to and from everyone.

Back