xG00BERx

Hrmm. I am trying to upload an Avatar picture (Which I have never done before - yeah.. newb ;) ) It is saying my picture has to be 5KB and it is 11KB but the only way to make it less KB would be to make the image smaller but its already at 200x200

Here it is.. Can anyone help me figure out how to get it to work? Thanks :p

http://avatarmaker.net/avatars_upload/s063358346.png

I've fixed it so you can use larger avatars. Plus you could always setup your avatar via a gravatar account. Which ServUO supports, as long as you provide your gravatar email.

Hey I was trying to upload a 200x200 pixel image again but with the 5KB size limit it is near impossible to get that size with the Size limit

I've always used Gravatar when possible, simply because its easier to maintain one avatar in all places. So never paid much attention to the limitations on avatars here. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I'm actually looking further deep into this problem then i have before. I'm a bit drunk at the moment but by tomorrow i;ll have something useful to input. I too have faced issues of avatars in the past, Just not here on servuo. *hic* but i have in thee past.
Edit: if people are using the proper imagine file formatting then they should have no issues maintaining the size limit. For a forum like servuo, you're imagine should also not be any large then 96x96 as that is the actual displayed sized on the forums.
editedit: @xG00BERx - If you want me to make your avatar more readable and still usable by the forums let me know and i'll re-create your avatar under 5kb and it will be more readable.

@Insanity - I don't think you need to increase the size of people's allowed avatar's in any way, people just need to know how to use image formatting to their advantage.
Edit: Don't cater to people who haven't learned the proper ways.
Also I like Gravatar, But a lot of people view it as another account they have to trust will be safe to maintain. So it's almost a hindrance as much as it is helpful.

Last edited:
Man if you are down to help me with my Avatar that would be the bomb!

I don't think you need to increase the size of people's allowed avatar's in any way, people just need to know how to use image formatting to their advantage.

Actually, with high res displays these days (such as retina and greater) it can be useful to have a higher res photo. Which tend to be a bit larger in size, so 5kb wasn't really much.

For a forum like servuo, you're imagine should also not be any large then 96x96 as that is the actual displayed sized on the forums.

Actually, when you click someone's name and their "card" pops up (or on their profile.) The avatar will display larger, so a larger avatar is recommended (I should really update mine as it's small and shitty resolution.) The avatar is simply scaled down when displayed in a thread/conversation.

Anyways, with that said. I've increased the size limit for verified members. Shouldn't have any problems now.

True but we are not talking about high resolution imagery. While you can click their name and it shows a 192x192 area for the person's avatar. That is still not anywhere even close to a high resolution and unless it's your face or a shrunk down picture does someone really need a 192x192 avatar over the 96x96 avatar that everyone else will see no matter what?
Also it just hit me that en.gravatar.com is probably the best case scenario for people with larger avatar dimensions and size.
Creating a Gravatar account is quite easy and only requires an email and password. just click "Create Your Own Gravatar"

But if you can dedicate the extra space and it doesn't get out of hand I guess that will solve any complaints in the long run.
Now please excuse me while i drink a gallon of water.

Edit: I suggest to people uploading their avatars to not use a lossless image format such as bmp or png. instead use a compressed image format like jpg/jpeg.
In my brainiac testing of an image 1631x1003 with lots of details in different formats. This is a list of formats used from smallest to largest file size obviously (jpg/jpeg, gif, pdf, png, tif, bmp) bmp being a no compression and lossless format it is clearly going to be a larger file size in most if not all cases.
My image of 1631x1003 in jpg format is 884kb, in bmp format it's 4,796kb

LaterEdit: I'd like to mention that jpg is not always going to be the smallest, there are situations where other formats like png can actually produce a smaller image file size. So it's best to experiment with what you find works best for you.

Last edited:
Back