I've been thinking...

We should have a community project.

So...

I was wondering if we could all come up with or agree on an idea for a community project, and then further more I was wondering if anyone would like to participate in it.

Something big. Something you'd pay $200 to have. Participants would receive copies, 100% of funds would go towards Serv.

I like the Community Shard idea. But what i think Enroq had in mind was a "Scripted System" or something of the like.

But I'm down for both ideas.

Basically what I had in mind was a single project, with multiple people working on it, with the funds going to support the forum costs.

Honestly, I meant more in the direction of a code-based project - All I really see are new mobiles?

I'd love to participate. Not sure how much time exactly I'd be able to invest with my own project in the works. I don't care about credit or even getting a copy per se.

I'm probably overreaching as well, Meric. That's why I was hoping to find some other heads to work on it as well. But I don't want to see servuo go away, uo emu is probably my most rewarding and constructive hobby. Without a community behind it, it wouldn't be the same.

I like the idea !

Some time ago, there was a project on ServUO to tweak with resources.
I think it is abandoned, but it could be a good base.

And the community shard idea is just ... Awesome ! ;)

How about an in game console for the owner to adjust skill/stat gains, limits, gold drop changes, etc. Maybe even the option to add global drops and give an option to limit to certain dungeons/maps.

edit: i know there was a version of a script like this out but i think it stopped working with RunUO 2.0

Last edited:
Yeah, I guess we need to stay realistic. ;)

Let's continue to brainstorm. We will eventually find THE idea :)

Just to make sure sure: what is it we are discussing here? Are we talking about a community-run shard where everyone contributes to the major branches of development (design, worldbuilding, scripting, etc.) or solely a major scripting project?

New Race with a level up system by completing Quests-
New Faction (but only servers with a larger player base would use it )
New Crafting System (some of the items would need to be had with quests)
HS Fishing and Cooking (which many would want)

The more I think about it, AI would be best.

Both combat related AI and AI to make NPCs and townspeople seem more alive, like walking around and doing some scripted actions

Affordable health care (j/k)

AI or improved Harvesting and Crafting I would be interested in working on either project.
I could see AI being a big hit because it could still be used on osi/ea style servers of any era as well as custom shards. Given the current "ai" in uo it is a mear puddle in a lake of knowledge surrounding artificial intelligence.
Getting around obstacles is a good place to start, AI comes up to a river with a mountain on the other side. It should walk along the river in the most logical direction even if that may be the wrong way. It should not run in circles back and forth at the river trying to find a valid tile to cross it's blockage.(as it currently does in some cases)
Things such as simple reasoning skills based on prior memories could be an advanced goal. Perhaps even personalities for each individual npc. The Baker doesn't like the Tailor so when the Baker goes to buy the wheat they go out of their way to avoid passing by the Tailor's shop.
Another example is Alligators like rotten logs in the swamp, they don't like cities and cobble stone. Alligators will then actively seek out rotten logs in swamps to hang out around and avoid any cobble stone or cities all together.
A guard sees you commit a crime and doesn't tell the other guards about it. He is the only guard who now gives you a hard time and the other guards don't magically know what you've done until he tells them.

After reading everything here which could be done with a new AI, this would be really Awesome! :)

It's doable.. it's quite the undertaking though. Even if we're talking about a normal tree-ai. It takes people with years of schooling years to make happen.. Five or six of us could probably do it in a year, maybe eight months.

++ I'm not saying we shouldn't - I just don't want anyone to volunteer thinking it's going to be a 1-2 month endeavor. Something of this nature is complex to even theorize about and will take some serious brainpower.

Last edited:
That is what he's studying to be a professor of. I don't think he'll do it - we're not very close after our argument on whether or not we were alive (which I insist we are, even if it is some sort of calculation based algorithm at some point).

I just don't want anyone to volunteer thinking it's going to be a 1-2 month endeavor.
This is why you use a structured github approach and allow the community to contribute towards the progress of the project. So if people do drop out new people can come in continue where they left off. kinda like Servuo, But this will be kind of like an addon for servuo.

I'm not sure if we should give it some time, or let more people weigh in. Either way, we'll still need some volunteers. I assume m309 and Hank are in. Anyone else?

Sure, I'll try 'n lend a hand with what i can...
I'm no expert, but i ain't no NewbSauCe(cut 'n paste :p) at C# either.

This post wasn't pointed to you ^ Zerodowned. I actually hit send at the same time i got the alert you poasted :)

How about an actually working fully compatible web based system for RunUO

MyRunUO
Web Accounting (Create account on website, linked to game account)
Live Stats
Maybe a live map system using a in game flag. If you want to be on the map just do [map true then on the website you will have a /map.php page showing a live map of the world showing everyones location. (Maybe AJAX auto refreshing?) Have this linked into MyRunUO so when you click the person it takes you to their MyRunUO page and vice versa (MyRunUO shows if person online and a link to show on map)

You get the picture :)

Could go simpler, and create a real Jail system. There have been a few over the years, but somewhat have faded away. None have really been updated along the way with the RUO/SUO servers, and those out there are either too simple, or too.. well, cluttered with unnecessary cruds.

It would need to be both straight forward and bullet proof, and customizable in that you can easily add jail cell areas so not limited to the OSI map's jail area, too. Maybe some sort of work/labor bit tied in, to give the jailed players a task to complete to be released, and/or several types of ways to determine a players time to be jailed.

I might have other ideas later.. will think about it.

I skipped most of the comments above because I just got out of the ER for the past few days and I don't think this Morphine would allow to me read correctly if I wanted to but If were thinking of a community project that could be cool/useful if its gonna be custom I like the ideas of a custom Banking System or Guild System

if were talking outstretching the bounds of UO Servers then I would love to see an Open Source program like UOSteam/Razor
or an open source program like UOCartographer, once again if this makes no sense please excuse me, thanks.

Town Mayor System... Another idea.

People vote for the mayer every month
the mayor can decorate the town
other people can become a member of any town they want and even be elected to town job positions.

Maybe?

For my two cents...the majority of the ideas presented currently exist in one form or another. I'm not saying they're bad by any means, they're just already out there and available. I think this project should be something that hasn't been done/released in another form already. It would generate more interest, and be more interesting for those working on it to do so.

Back