It has been awhile since I have ran one on linux, but I actually liked the performace much better than on Windows. You'll be using Mono to run servuo, though I have heard rumors of late that some features aren't working so well.... that could be just rumor or people that don't follow directions.

I have ran it on Debian 6 and Ubuntu a few times. I'll see if I can find the (outdated possibly) thread I used to set my box up for it. Hopefully that will help. Brb.

This is where I got my start. There's a whole section on runuo for Linux help. Not sure how up to date it is..... http://www.runuo.com/community/threads/guide-runuo-svn-debian-lenny.103457/

Also, you will want to study up on your compile string to include new libraries and other things being used these days. I didn't think it was possible, but my mistake was not fully reading and following the instructions or searching for things that might need updating. Once I found it all, it was wonderful from there on.

After setting that up I learned how to set up ODBC on Linux and after a few days got MyRunuo working and built a nice page for the website with constantly updated vendor positions and contents/prices on the page as well as a listing of players and skills.

*Edit* - Looking through that forum there are a few examples for Ubuntu that may give you a better idea for your distro. I did all of mine by command line. Once you figure it out it isn't too hard. Just don't let it frustrate you :)

The nice thing about it, is if you can get it stable, Linux servers are usually far cheaper and most everything is open source. You can find just about anything like open source software that will give your cat a bath.

Last edited:
If you are going to use Ubuntu I would recommend using the Long Term Support (LTS) version. I believe 14.04 is a LTS.

ok, I got Ubuntu 14.04 LTS running just fine. I think I have everything I need to make ServUO run on it. I start it, it says its compiling, but then I get a bunch of errors.

I discovered how to use wineconsole to run bat files. But still not getting a linux file to run servuo.

P.S.
I forgot to mention, I have decided to try and get this to work with a clean copy of servuo, not my modified server that has UOLive running on it. Which is running on a windows pc.

LOL nice twist on not seeming like your just talking to yourself there, man! :D

Sorry I can't be of any help.. I have only ran an Ubuntu or whatever machine for a few weeks some years ago.. and while I really liked it, I just couldn't get use to not being able to just grab any given program and go. :-/

But yeah, definitely keep the progress reports going, it will absolutely help some others in the future!

I got to compile successfully with 9 warnings. At least thats what it tells me.

Thanks to this post -- http://www.servuo.com/threads/anyon...linux-howto-for-windows-idiots.376/#post-2177

Which introduced me to this line of code --
mcs -sdk:4.5 -out:ServUO.exe -d:MONO -d:Framework_4_0 -d:ServUO -optimize+ -unsafe -r:System,System.Configuration.Install,System.Data,System.Drawing,System.EnterpriseServices,System.Management,System.Security,System.ServiceProcess,System.Web,System.Web.Services,System.Windows.Forms,System.Xml,OpenUO.Core.dll,OpenUO.Ultima.dll,OpenUO.Ultima.Windows.Forms.dll,SevenZipSharp.dll -nowarn:219 -recurse:Server/*.cs

I am doing this on a machine with only 256mb of memory. It was free, and I didn't want to use my everyday one.

with that said, it is now compiling. so far no errors. and its been about 5 to 7 mins.

Ok, found out, after I went looking, that Google Chrome has a ssh client add-on. After I installed it, I am able to copy and paste stuff into it and out of it. Which means, I am able to paste my server output now.

And if anyone can help me here, please do.

And here is my server output ----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
ServUO - [http://www.servuo.com] Version 0.5, Build 5307.2090
Publish
Core: Unix environment detected
RandomImpl: SimpleRandom (Software)
Scripts: Compiling C# scripts...ScriptCompiler: : /home/jburns/servuo/servuo.exe (Location of the symbol related to previous error)
ScriptCompiler: : /home/jburns/servuo/servuo.exe (Location of the symbol related to previous error)
ScriptCompiler: : /home/jburns/servuo/servuo.exe (Location of the symbol related to previous error)
Failed with: 3 errors, 1 warnings
Warnings:
+ Services/Quests/Peerless System/PeerlessAltar.cs:
CS0472: Line 607: The result of comparing value type `System.TimeSpan' with null is always `true'
Errors:
+ Services/BulkOrders/SmallTailorBOD.cs:
CS0165: Line 105: Use of unassigned local variable `useMaterials'
+ Services/XmlSpawner 2/XmlEngines/XmlSpawnerGumps.cs:
CS0121: Line 287: The call is ambiguous between the following methods or properties: `Server.Gumps.Gump.AddTextEntry(int, int, int, int, i
nt, int, string)' and `Server.Gumps.Gump.AddTextEntry(int, int, int, int, int, int, Server.Gumps.GumpResponse, string, string)'
CS0121: Line 288: The call is ambiguous between the following methods or properties: `Server.Gumps.Gump.AddTextEntry(int, int, int, int, i
nt, int, string)' and `Server.Gumps.Gump.AddTextEntry(int, int, int, int, int, int, Server.Gumps.GumpResponse, string, string)'
+ Services/XmlSpawner 2/XmlEngines/XmlQuest/XmlQuestGumps.cs:
CS0121: Line 203: The call is ambiguous between the following methods or properties: `Server.Gumps.Gump.AddTextEntry(int, int, int, int, i
Scripts: One or more scripts failed to compile or no script files were found.
- Press return to exit, or R to try again.

From the following line numbers above, I edited the files named in the errors per line numbers and replaced null with " " (put a space like I did between apostrophes). I got rid of those errors pertaining to xml and now I have this one error left ----

Scripts: Compiling C# scripts...Failed with: 1 errors, 1 warnings
Warnings:
+ Services/Quests/Peerless System/PeerlessAltar.cs:
CS0472: Line 607: The result of comparing value type `System.TimeSpan' with null is always `true'
Errors:
CS0165: Line 105: Use of unassigned local variable `useMaterials'

changed the value of null in the error to true to see if that makes a difference. Hopefully this solves my problems.

nope, new error. going to try changing it to " " to see if that makes a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know if it will help, I'm installing the same distro as you atm, but after looking at the large smith bod in comparison.. they set an initial value to useMaterials in that script. You might try setting it to = true; or =false; just to see what it does. I'll try it on mine as soon as it is installed.

Yeah , up at the top you have bool useMaterials; declared. In Large Smith bod they set it with an initial value bool useMaterials=true;

Just something I noticed.

I would think the following line using Utility.RandomBool() would work fine, but maybe the compiler is being an ass and wanting an initial value?

Just a thought. Compiles fine on Windows for me as well. I'm about to play with it on Ubuntu.

I installed your distro, updated, installed git and pulled the source. Installed mono-complete, changed the path to client files in both /Server/openuosdk.cs and also in /scripts/misc/datapath.cs and ran with
the same compile string on an unedited smalltailorbod.cs and it compiled first try. Are you sure you haven't changed anything else?

ok, thought I would try and recompile, came up with these 9 warnings as before --

Server/TileMatrix.cs(442,36): warning CS0618: `System.IO.FileStream.Handle' is obsolete: `Use SafeFileHandle instead'
Server/TileMatrix.cs(529,31): warning CS0618: `System.IO.FileStream.Handle' is obsolete: `Use SafeFileHandle instead'
Server/TileMatrixPatch.cs(92,34): warning CS0618: `System.IO.FileStream.Handle' is obsolete: `Use SafeFileHandle instead'
Server/TileMatrixPatch.cs(166,35): warning CS0618: `System.IO.FileStream.Handle' is obsolete: `Use SafeFileHandle instead'
Server/Main.cs(44,28): warning CS0414: The private field `Server.Core._OpenUOSDK' is assigned but its value is never used
Server/TileMatrix.cs(36,15): warning CS0414: The private field `Server.TileMatrix.m_Width' is assigned but its value is never used
Server/TileMatrix.cs(36,24): warning CS0414: The private field `Server.TileMatrix.m_Height' is assigned but its value is never used
Server/Timer.cs(364,22): warning CS0414: The private field `Server.Timer.m_QueueCountAtSlice' is assigned but its value is never used
Server/Persistence/FileQueue.cs(224,34): warning CS0414: The private field `Server.FileQueue.Chunk.offset' is assigned but its value is never
used

Ahh that means you compiled. Warnings can usually be ignored. Kind of like Obama warning Putin or anyone else for that matter. Search for your servuo.exe and congrats.

found servuo.exe. running it now to see what I get.

this is what I got --

CS0165: Line 87: Use of unassigned local variable `useMaterials'

Back