It's an interesting looking idea. Not sure how realistic it is, but in any case I would guess that it would be at least several years away from any kind of working prototype. I would play with it, but then I am a real geek about these things.

Hello welcome to the Servuo community Pinguini.

I've talked with a few people about this subject of uo in a browser. Is it possible? sure. Is it a smart investment of time and resources. I think not.
The community can't seem to finish custom clients for what ever plethora of reasons.
So what it boils down to is two ways to acomplish first and easiest is money, pay someone to code what you want. Second either yourself and or a team with the skill and time required.
So while you'll see things like javascript uo, fluorescence, XNA, etc. There is no finished clients yet.

I can't fully understand your original post but I think you mention taking the art and sound from uo and using it to make your own thing or apply it to a web environment. This would probably take as much time to complete as it would a new client.
There is also html5, I think it has enough under the hood to handle UO.
Unity is also a good choice as it has support for multiplatforming and is very well documented. It has been discussed somewhat in the past but most people find a C# based client would be better so people could customize it the way they want to.

more can be said.

The project that was linked, UO-JS, is exactly what I was going to start working on myself, I'm glad you linked that, it will save a lot of time and maybe I can continue development while the project owner is on hiatus... when I get the time of course :D Thanks for sharing.

Hello welcome to the Servuo community Pinguini.

I've talked with a few people about this subject of uo in a browser. Is it possible? sure. Is it a smart investment of time and resources. I think not.
The community can't seem to finish custom clients for what ever plethora of reasons.
So what it boils down to is two ways to acomplish first and easiest is money, pay someone to code what you want. Second either yourself and or a team with the skill and time required.
So while you'll see things like javascript uo, fluorescence, XNA, etc. There is no finished clients yet.

I can't fully understand your original post but I think you mention taking the art and sound from uo and using it to make your own thing or apply it to a web environment. This would probably take as much time to complete as it would a new client.
There is also html5, I think it has enough under the hood to handle UO.
Unity is also a good choice as it has support for multiplatforming and is very well documented. It has been discussed somewhat in the past but most people find a C# based client would be better so people could customize it the way they want to.

more can be said.
I would like to point out that UltimaXNA is coming along quite well ;) about 90% complete on the latest milestone, almost time to start another!

Hey there!

I'm the creator of uojs. I scrapped the original project (because the codebase was shitty af) but I decided earlier this month to remake it, if you'd like to check it out: https://github.com/kevinhikaruevans/uojs2

The new project is more modular, easier to understand, has build automation, uses es6 (with babel), and uses Redux. :) In my original project, I didn't understand javascript at all. But now that I have more knowledge of the language and its code practices, I'll try to make it 90% less shitty.

With that being said, I'm mostly using this project to learn more about Redux & build automation, but also to gain a deeper understanding of newer practices. I'm still a complete newb, so a lot of the stuff might not be the best way to do things.

To get something working, just do `npm install` and `gulp build` and run index.html in your browser. It's not much currently, just updates the redux state and that's about it. I'll try to get something cooler working later in July or so.

Will it ever get finished? Probably not, haha. The Ultima Online client is insanely complex and was created over several iterations by a team over several years.

Cheers :)

Kevin

Last edited:
Back