Dan(Tasanar)

Before I actually decided to do research I spent years never knowing anything existed outside of RunUO. I was just wondering if there were other emulating communities / projects out there that were just as or more active than ServUO?

As far as I can tell ServUO is still the most active UO emulation site out there.

While development does slow down, it always picks back up when people have time. This is a hobby for us all and as adults we need to understand that real life comes before our hobbies. We all have to pay the bills and tend to responsibilities in our lives. I myself am lucky if I get a few hours a day to chill out. I code for ~7-8 hours per day and then come home. Sometimes it's just too much to open up VS again and continue coding. Burnout is a real thing!

Back to development though, this is a community project, everyone is able to make pull requests with features and bug fixes and some people have done so, which I am appreciative of but a lot of people do not as well. Shards out there like to hoard their code for their own use and not help the community, which is a shame.

Anyways, servuo is going nowhere. I pay the bills every months regardless of donations even though ServUO is about $350 in the red right now. (Big thanks to those that do help out, I know it's hard to spare the few bucks for a lot of people.).

Anyways, servuo is going nowhere. I pay the bills every months regardless of donations even though ServUO is about $350 in the red right now. (Big thanks to those that do help out, I know it's hard to spare the few bucks for a lot of people.).

Awesome! I guess that was what I was mostly wondering. I too have donated here and work full time as well I had just made the mistake once of putting all my eggs in the JustUO basket and had a nightmare time converting over to ServUO.

I need to really figure out how to use GitHUB so I can commit some of the more mundane stuff I fix.

Installing Git is a good solution to work on the project, both GitBash and GitGUI, aswell as some other tools in case of exceptions such as GitExtensions, which can help for major problems. For my part i dislike GitHub in favor of GitLab, which has a much more intuitive interface.
To contribute tho, i would suggest you to take a look at some Git cheatsheets, and/or learn more about:
-Branches in general
-Committing files
-Stashing changes (save an "image" of what changes you made and reapply them later)
-Pushing files
-Merging
-Also take a look at the tutorial of "how to contribute to servuo" on the forum if you haven't already.

Overall: more you know and more you experiment with Git, the more you learn and get experience.

@dmurphy:
What do you mean by "in the red light"?

Installing Git is a good solution to work on the project, both GitBash and GitGUI, aswell as some other tools in case of exceptions such as GitExtensions, which can help for major problems. For my part i dislike GitHub in favor of GitLab, which has a much more intuitive interface.
To contribute tho, i would suggest you to take a look at some Git cheatsheets, and/or learn more about:
-Branches in general
-Committing files
-Stashing changes (save an "image" of what changes you made and reapply them later)
-Pushing files
-Merging

Overall, more you know and more you experiment with Git, the more you learn and get experience.

@dmurphy:
What do you mean by "in the red light"?

In financial terms in the red means that you are below $0 available funds. Right now ServUO is minus ~$350 available funds and at the end of the months it will be lower. Oppositely if you have more than $0 available funds you are thought to be in the black.

This comes from using red ink in accounting to denote negative values and black ink to denote positive values.

Also, good advice on git. I too prefer gitlab but github definitely is more used and as far as Resumes goes holds a lot more weight against other versioning platforms. Though in practice I find that atlassian suite of software to be used more than github in industry.

Last edited:
Quick question, how far along is this project, in terms of what expansion is covered?
Last time I ran my own shard it was around the Mondains legacy expansion.

Quick question, how far along is this project, in terms of what expansion is covered?
Last time I ran my own shard it was around the Mondains legacy expansion.

Has most of Stygian Abyss emulates with later expansion client features.

Nice thanks
One more question, is there a guide on how to use GIT to download and keep the files synced?
I've used TortoisSVN before and it worked ok, but was wondering if GIT Is preferable?
[doublepost=1469141097][/doublepost]Seems to work well enough with Tortoise :)

Back