Hey everyone, so since I started playing Ultima Online in 1997, the main character builds have always revolved around magery. I thought it would be cool to create a shard where there is only melee and archery available for combat. I would probably remove mystical creatures as well, making it more like a real-life medieval-type setup.

Is there anyone that would be interested in a shard like this or is it just a waste of time?

Hmmm, interesting idea. I would check it out. I think as far as how many people would want to see it would depend on implementation. That would be a lot of changes involved. It would make a nice chunk of skills useless. So I guess what would get people to stay (myself included) is what would be offered in exhcnage for that. For instance, if it's a regular server with nothing special beyond any form of magic stripped it wouldn't keep people's attention.

Just my opinion. I have also learned there is a base for almost any idea and that's the best part of this community and seeing your own vision come to life. I have been playing with a server for 15+ years since Sphere days. It's my zen after a hard day of work. I don't run a server publically though, I just enjoy making things for my small group of friends. Dealing with the public is too stressfull. lol

Hmmm, interesting idea. I would check it out. I think as far as how many people would want to see it would depend on implementation. That would be a lot of changes involved. It would make a nice chunk of skills useless. So I guess what would get people to stay (myself included) is what would be offered in exhcnage for that. For instance, if it's a regular server with nothing special beyond any form of magic stripped it wouldn't keep people's attention.

Just my opinion. I have also learned there is a base for almost any idea and that's the best part of this community and seeing your own vision come to life. I have been playing with a server for 15+ years since Sphere days. It's my zen after a hard day of work. I don't run a server publically though, I just enjoy making things for my small group of friends. Dealing with the public is too stressfull. lol
I was going to try implementing skills for each combat type, similar to what you'd see in WOW, FFXIV, etc. Obviously not quite as many but something to spice up combat a bit more since melee is just a lot of standing around. Basically "spells" but make skillbooks instead of spellbooks.

I would want to make it more survival like, make house deeds craftable, boats craftable, only a few main cities with resources for sale but no fully crafted items, players would have to create everything and setup their vendors to attract others.

Early houses would basically be shacks where you can store materials and access your craftinspellmassive.

Boats would start out slower and become quicker with higher skill level.

Fast travel would be heavily modified and less common due to a smaller mapsize. There would be different islands with different resources, encouraging travel and trade among people around the "world".

Honestly would need to sit down and really iron things out.

Just figured I'd see if anyone found the concept interesting. I'd basically want to look at different games and take ideas and systems that make them special. Adding something different to the typical UO experience.

You have some great ideas that would produce a pretty unique experiance. I would definitely check it out.

What you're describing is dangerously close to Dark Fantasy, which is an awesome fantasy subgenre.

Not terribly hard to do, but definitely a fair bit of work to get there. Adding combat skills to spice up combat is the easiest part, compared to stripping out traditional magic, though tedious if you scale up and do like 100 new abilities.

If you haven't you might want to pick up a copy of The Black Company, one of the greatest dark fantasy/ultra low magic series written, and probably rife with inspiration for you.

What you're describing is dangerously close to Dark Fantasy, which is an awesome fantasy subgenre.

Not terribly hard to do, but definitely a fair bit of work to get there. Adding combat skills to spice up combat is the easiest part, compared to stripping out traditional magic, though tedious if you scale up and do like 100 new abilities.

If you haven't you might want to pick up a copy of The Black Company, one of the greatest dark fantasy/ultra low magic series written, and probably rife with inspiration for you.
I'll check it out, thank you!

I'm basically trying to do this as a hobby when I'm bored. I'm a beginner so it is going to take a lot of learning and help.

It would be a different experience, but instead of wiping out magic, you should revamp the Magery system. Nerf it where Magic skills are illegal in the towns but can still be hidden, like in the show Merlin. Creating it where the towns send warriors to kill you if a npc snitches on you.This would make traveling alot harder to towns make the moon gates look locked up or in ruins. Or completely change where the moon gates are spawned in, hidden far from the towns in caves. This also means reagents are alot harder to come by. Make some reagents illegal to even obtain near towns. Add some farmable reagents across the world. Lock the Magery skill where 10.0 is the max a player can get at first unless you have powerscrolls that increases your cap. Then make the powerscrolls hard to get to reduce the magic use within the server.

Back