Hello guys, today i'm here with another concept.

In these days, I have been thinking about creating a Post Apocalyptic RP Shard, with a setting similar to the one of Fallout. At the beginning, players would start from a single big city, built up by the survivors of the nuclear disaster, with the chance for groups of 8-10 players to leave the city for building another settlement in the Wasteland, and things like that, you know, i think that all of you played Fallout games.

For graphics, it would be pretty easy to rip off the ones of Fallout 1 and 2, but what i was asking myself is if Ultima Online is a game suitable for a setting like this. UOL is a fantasy-medieval game, do you think it would be possible to make it suitable for a shard with a setting like this?

Let me know what you think! ;)

Sure, with enough time and dedication. The only thing that might be out of place is the time lines. UO being mid evil erra somewhat and apocalypse typically being more modern or futuristic time lines.. But with imagination, lore could be created to make sense of it all :)

Sounds interesting

As a huge fallout fan I have considered this idea myself in the past. Using the graphics from fallout 1 and 2, working with the art from fallout 3 and NV you could put together quite a slew of graphics that would work just fine in the UO Engine. That is what ultima online is to me now, it's simply a game engine in which I or anybody can craft a world they envision from an isometric point of view.
So just because the world of Ultima is a medival based series does not mean you can't take the engine and utilize it's features to achieve an alternative set of goals.
Heads up about the fallout 1 and 2 graphics though,. they are 1:2 isometric and UO art is 1:1 isometric.

So to answer your question, I do believe this would be highly possible. It may not be a pure fallout clone, but you could script it pretty damn near close. As Dian said the two things it would require are Time and Dedication. These are the two things that in my opinion separate the great uo shards from the good/okay ones.

Here are some old threads from runuo you may find useful:
http://www.runuo.com/community/threads/set-of-scifi-technology-arts.535125/
http://www.runuo.com/community/threads/a-shard-about-post-apocalyptic-times.96780/

You guys are truly an inspiration. I will try to work into a map in these days and i will show you the progress.

It would be nice to script a fallout-like system, with a level system and the S.P.E.C.I.A.L., unfortunately i can't find a scripter :(

You can easily manipulate already released level and "feat" systems to achieve a Fallout-esque feel.

If you're are going for the classic fallout you may run into problems if you choose to move players from the world to an instanced area like how it was in fallout 1 and 2. There may be more players then instances available on your map and you may have to create a queuing system. But if you know how to make maps larger or if you used the second map for this purpose you could pull it off with out queues, that is if you don't have 50+ players all in the same area engaging in combat at the same time.

Alternatively it should not be that hard to say,. when player in combat or monster finds player combatant cantmove = true. present player with gump options use weapon, reload, switch weapons, or click for a place to move, if they move far enough away from the attacking thing it could break combat and the attacking monster could loose interest, unless the play ran right back up on it again.

In any case, there is someone in ServUO community that would help me and Decker with this project? We have experience, have ran 2 shard in the last 4 years with an active community around 40 players, but there is a lack of scripter lately. If someone is available would be nice.

If you're are going for the classic fallout you may run into problems if you choose to move players from the world to an instanced area like how it was in fallout 1 and 2. There may be more players then instances available on your map and you may have to create a queuing system.

I think you can get around this with Ultima Live which can create and remove instanced areas on the fly? Or did I read it wrong? (havent actually used Live but that is my understanding)

Back