I have a Mul folder inside my server location which I set it to under DataPath.cs. If there is a change somewhere that would need to be made to make everything point to the same folder as that, tell me where.
I think you misunderstand. Perhaps i should explain how ULive works. You have a folder that has all your map/statics, etc files that you point to in DataPath.cs so that your server knows where to look for them. You put in all the UltimaLive scripts in your server and make the edits to MapDefinitions/MapRegistry so your server now knows you have extra custom maps. Now you also put the new igrping.dll file in your Ultima Online folder, this file is how UltimaLive makes the UO client work with custom maps. This is all stuff you've already done I'm sure.

Think about this -- when you log in game and try to goto your custom map, how do you think the client gets the information for that map? Normally, for the regular UO maps, your client knows that you have the map .mul files in your UO folder and gets the information from there. However, with custom maps and ULive, it gets the information from the ServUO server and stores them in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\UltimaLive\Shardname. As you explore, it downloads the "pieces" of the map into that app data folder. It's possible with all the client crashing and such you've been experiencing that something is wrong with the partially downloaded map files in there.

Now by putting in your custom map files(the map, staidx, and statics mul files) in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\UltimaLive\Shardname folder and overwriting the old files, ULive will see the entire map file is already there and it won't need to stream the data from the server. This has worked for me in the past when I've had crashing errors so it may be worth it to try for you.

tl;dr There's no changes to scripts like in DataPath.cs that you need to make that you haven't already made. Just try clearing the contents of the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\UltimaLive\Shardname folder and then copy all the same map files the server uses into that folder and see if that fixes the problem at all.

tried changing maps and the client crashed. going to install 098 and look at map files again.

How do I install ver098?

I love being owner.

When you say change maps, do you mean your character traveled to a different map and now the client crashes, or you changed the server's map configuration ?

I would create a new character and keep him on a map that you know works. Then you can use that character to pull any characters on bad maps back onto the good one.

You're going to have to fix the teleporter sending you to bad maps, or this will just continue to happen. Anything that sends you to an invalid map will cause the client to crash. That's with or without UO Live.

Without even realizing it Praxiiz you have also solved my issues :). I had ULive working on my server before I took a 1 1/2 yr break and when I came back and did all the recent repo updates to ServUO ULive was just crashing client after character login. It was driving me NUTS because no Mapdef or Mapregistry changes were made. Additionally, the 0.97 debug wasn't even working when I tried using it, it would just simply flash the console open and close (I was also not aware of version 0.98 before your post). Just tried the 0.98 debug igrping.dll, and not only did the debug console open I was actually able to login the server.. I'm not entirely sure if you even made any non-debug changes but whatever the case I am just glad it's working now. Thank you!

I'm just glad you're using UO Live. It was a really fun project while I was working on it, and I'm just glad it's getting some use. v.0.98 was refactored quite a bit. I had the goal of cleaning up the code base and making the logger easier to understand.

the problem I am having right now is getting the client not to crash. until I can get this matter resolved, I am going to stick to the original 6 so I can get my shard completed and running, hopefully next year.

* * * * EDIT * * * *
Don't get my wrong, I love the product. I had it working up to the point where I added 6 different custom maps. Maybe its the map files that are bad, who knows. Will look into it later.

I have been looking at my zip file of ServUO_UltimaLive_0_97 and found a folder named "Ultima Live", would someone tell me what this folder is for? Maybe once I know, I might solve my problem.

I have been looking at my zip file of ServUO_UltimaLive_0_97 and found a folder named "Ultima Live", would someone tell me what this folder is for? Maybe once I know, I might solve my problem.
That's just the folder containing the source code for ULive in case you want to compile igrping.dll yourself.

With or without UO Live, if your server is sending out the wrong map number your client is going to crash. The normal client wont handle any map numbers being sent above the original ones. It will likely give you an invalid facet message box and crash.

ok people, I erased my custom map settings then only entered one and it is working. I think I know why I was having so many problems, but can't understand why it would have caused them. I numbered my maps as 34, 35, 36, 37, 98, 99, for better organization. Well, I am thinking because of the gap in numbers the server was getting confused and began sending me to the wrong map.

I will add my other custom maps to the files and see what happens. I hope this solves it.

In this thread i read about compiling the igrping.dll, maybe someone here can help me. It's a UOL problem so i hope it fits here.

I need help compile igrping.dll . I had done it two years ago and it worked fine. Then i had the stupid idea to install a new os, clean my pc and do a fresh install of my server with custom sized map (14336/8192). Thought it will be no problem and so i deleted everything but my custom map i am working on for 3 years now.

The size of custom map was the only reason for compiling the igrping.dll. I have UOL working with normal size custom maps but i don't get the compile to work. I am not the programmer hero but can remeber it wasn't a big problem last time i did it in 2014.

I think one problem was the VS 2015. But even with another VS i don't get it to work.

Ok, finally i made it compile. After reinstalling VS 2010, 2013, and 2015 it worked without problems. Don't know what was wrong before.

the problem I am having right now is getting the client not to crash.
I had the same problem - client or server crashed when logging in with UltimaLive.

UltimaLive checks maps from the server. If you have maps defined in UltimaLive's mapregistry.cs for which you don't have .uop or .mul files on the server (where ServUO gets its files from, path defined in Scripts\Misc\DataPath.cs), UltimaLive will crash trying to create staticsX.mul and staidxX.mul in its %AppData% folder.
Either add mapX.mul, staticsX.mul and staidxX.mul for all the maps defined in UltimaLive's mapregistry.cs or remove the entries from UltimaLive's mapregistry.cs for the maps you do not want UltimaLive to generate.

I spend around 4 hours trying to get my custom map working and embarrassingly my character was on Trammel while I was editing Felucca :D Lemon of the year :D

There are a few things I found out with custom maps, though:
1) if your character is standing on a wrongly generated map (e.g. you have UltimaLive set up not to generate files for maps other than Felucca and your character is standing on bloody frigging Trammel :p), the server will crash,
2) mapXLegacyMUL.uop or mapX.mul (depending which client version you are running), staticsX.mul and staidxX.mul files you have in your client's folder MUST be at least the same size or bigger than the custom map on your server (i.e. the map that UltimaLive will handle). UltimaLive doesn't use the tiles and statics from map files in client's folder, but it does use the corresponding size. It can be an empty map (just water or whatever you want there) and empty statics and staidx, but the map size of those files cannot be smaller than your custom map, otherwise you'll see purple-blue tiles (instead of water, ground, etc.) and no statics at all (walls, lamp posts, etc.). mapXLegacyMUL.uop or mapX.mul, staticsX.mul and staidxX.mul from Felucca are a safe bet as client's files since it's the biggest default map,
3) delete ALL *dif*.mul files from your client's folder (search for *dif* in your client's folder and delete all found files that are .mul)! Otherwise you'll have parts of the original map drawn on top of your custom map,
4) make sure the tiledata.mul you are using for your server files is your client's tiledata.mul (in case your map was created with an older client, but you want to restart your shard on a newer client), otherwise you'll have invisible items and all other cock-ups. Double-check if the map is OK after using a newer tiledata.mul, if some tiles are wrong you'll have to update your map to display properly with the new tiledata.mul

Last edited:
Back