Resource icon

Skill Increase Book 1.031

No permission to download

Dallas

Citizen
Oct 7, 2020
USA
Ah, thanks for that gif that was wonderful. So I was able to find the problem, it wasn't actually just when closing the book it was that any time the gump was reloaded it would clip off 2 entries so before long you end up with an empty book.

The problem was in the GetSkills function. I was using num_skills to get all the "valid skills" (skills less than the cap + the bonus) but I forgot that I update that number and so it progressively grabs fewer and fewer skills. I changed it to just loop over the server defined list of skills instead and everything appears to be working now. Will update the version shortly; good catch and let me know if you find anything else :)
your welcome i try i am new to most of this but trying to learn as much as i can by testing things looking at changes in scripts reading them to see how they all function etc.

This has a steep learning curve but i am willing to give it a shot and learn as much as i can from this experience as i am having fun every step of the way!
Thank you for your time and quick fixes if i find anything else i will be sure to let you and post here.

Reactions: StaticHex

StaticHex

Citizen
Jul 21, 2020
Houston, Texas
www.ultima.teragentech.net
Shard Name
Phantom Realms
Donate
Donate money to this user
Would there be a way to remove some skills like chivalry?
I think you can already do that using the in game skills gump I know at least you used to by opening it up and clicking the up arrow next to the skill name 2x so that it is a down arrow
Post automatically merged:

Ok now the only problem is it will let you increase all skills even if you didn't use a power scroll up to 120!
That is correct. This script doesn't really do anything with power scrolls currently and just goes off the base skill cap and allows you to set an optional limit past the skill cap. I'll play around with power scrolls this weekend although looking at the script it's interesting that it's not picking up skills increased with power scrolls as it does look like they increase the skill cap vs. setting a separate value like I initially thought. In any case; will keep you posted.

Last edited:

sheivan

Citizen
Jul 17, 2019
I think you can already do that using the in game skills gump I know at least you used to by opening it up and clicking the up arrow next to the skill name 2x so that it is a down arrow

That is correct. This script doesn't really do anything with power scrolls currently and just goes off the base skill cap and allows you to set an optional limit past the skill cap. I'll play around with power scrolls this weekend although looking at the script it's interesting that it's not picking up skills increased with power scrolls as it does look like they increase the skill cap vs. setting a separate value like I initially thought. In any case; will keep you posted.
Well I meant so players wouldnt waste it on unused skills :p (Server that doesnt use chivalry but thats in this era)

StaticHex

Citizen
Jul 21, 2020
Houston, Texas
Shard Name
Phantom Realms
Donate
Well I meant so players wouldnt waste it on unused skills :p (Server that doesnt use chivalry but thats in this era)
Ah ok sorry about that I misread. So far as skills, the book pulls it's skills from Scripts/Commands/Skills.cs directly so as long as you remove Chivalry from the SkillName enum in that file it should prevent the script from grabbing it.

I could certainly add a skill blacklist; however if a skill isn't going to be used it seems like it would just be better to remove it from the skill list in general.

I am open to suggestion though, any thoughts on the above?

Also @Dallas you might want to set the capBonus to 0 and see if the fix I implemented yesterday fixed the power scroll issue. I just tested a power scroll and my carpentry is showing up even though it's at 100. It could be that the other bug I fixed regarding it grabbing the wrong number of skills was removing Carpentry. Let me know if still doesn't work.

your welcome i try i am new to most of this but trying to learn as much as i can by testing things looking at changes in scripts reading them to see how they all function etc.

This has a steep learning curve but i am willing to give it a shot and learn as much as i can from this experience as i am having fun every step of the way!
Thank you for your time and quick fixes if i find anything else i will be sure to let you and post here.
Yeah, one of the hardest things about programming is trying to learn how to use code you didn't write. There's a command to generate documentation which if you haven't run it already can be really useful.

Last edited:

Dallas

Citizen
Oct 7, 2020
USA
Ah ok sorry about that I misread. So far as skills, the book pulls it's skills from Scripts/Commands/Skills.cs directly so as long as you remove Chivalry from the SkillName enum in that file it should prevent the script from grabbing it.

I could certainly add a skill blacklist; however if a skill isn't going to be used it seems like it would just be better to remove it from the skill list in general.

I am open to suggestion though, any thoughts on the above?

Also @Dallas you might want to set the capBonus to 0 and see if the fix I implemented yesterday fixed the power scroll issue. I just tested a power scroll and my carpentry is showing up even though it's at 100. It could be that the other bug I fixed regarding it grabbing the wrong number of skills was removing Carpentry. Let me know if still doesn't work.

Yeah, one of the hardest things about programming is trying to learn how to use code you didn't write. There's a command to generate documentation which if you haven't run it already can be really useful.
Not sure if i am understanding you correctly before you made the change it would not pop up any skill but mining as i had it able to increase to 120 after using a powerscroll.

Now it does not matter the skill if you didn't use a powerscroll you can keep increasing your skills all of them to be 120 so in other words it pretty much kills off the purpose of powerscrolls i hope what i am saying makes sinces.

StaticHex

Citizen
Jul 21, 2020
Houston, Texas
Shard Name
Phantom Realms
Donate
Not sure if i am understanding you correctly before you made the change it would not pop up any skill but mining as i had it able to increase to 120 after using a powerscroll.

Now it does not matter the skill if you didn't use a powerscroll you can keep increasing your skills all of them to be 120 so in other words it pretty much kills off the purpose of powerscrolls i hope what i am saying makes sinces.
The reply you quoted was actually directed at another user. I'm assuming you meant the other one where I mentioned your name. Or possibly the one where I was talking about the capBonus variable.

So the cap bonus does absolutely nothing with power scrolls at all. All the cap bonus variable does is allow you to increment your skill X points past the cap and impacts all skills.

What I was saying in the post which mentioned your name was that the original problem with power scrolls may have been fixed when I fixed the bug the other day. To verify this; you would need to set capBonus to 0.0 and then reload the server to check if you're able to see mining (pending mining is still < 120)

Dallas

Citizen
Oct 7, 2020
USA
The reply you quoted was actually directed at another user. I'm assuming you meant the other one where I mentioned your name. Or possibly the one where I was talking about the capBonus variable.

So the cap bonus does absolutely nothing with power scrolls at all. All the cap bonus variable does is allow you to increment your skill X points past the cap and impacts all skills.

What I was saying in the post which mentioned your name was that the original problem with power scrolls may have been fixed when I fixed the bug the other day. To verify this; you would need to set capBonus to 0.0 and then reload the server to check if you're able to see mining (pending mining is still < 120)
maybe this will be more helpful...

StaticHex

Citizen
Jul 21, 2020
Houston, Texas
Shard Name
Phantom Realms
Donate
I think we may be talking past each other.

From what I understand, your concern is that adjusting the variable capBonus allows you to adjust ANY skill past the skill cap. Not just the ones power scrolls have raised.

This is the correct behavior for that variable. That is what it is supposed to do. This is not a bug.

When you use a power scroll, it adjusts the cap for that particular skill and so you don't need to set the capBonus variable. Set capBonus to 0.0 and the problem in the gif above should go away.

Dallas

Citizen
Oct 7, 2020
USA
I think we may be talking past each other.

From what I understand, your concern is that adjusting the variable capBonus allows you to adjust ANY skill past the skill cap. Not just the ones power scrolls have raised.

This is the correct behavior for that variable. That is what it is supposed to do. This is not a bug.

When you use a power scroll, it adjusts the cap for that particular skill and so you don't need to set the capBonus variable. Set capBonus to 0.0 and the problem in the gif above should go away.
I am sorry if that is the case just trying to understand code a little better all around...
So i went ahead and changed this around.

public static readonly float capBonus = 0.0f;

Should do the trick will test it and let you know!

StaticHex

Citizen
Jul 21, 2020
Houston, Texas
Shard Name
Phantom Realms
Donate
I am sorry if that is the case just trying to understand code a little better all around...
So i went ahead and changed this around.

public static readonly float capBonus = 0.0f;

Should do the trick will test it and let you know!
Also no worries, and just to clarify I'm not mad or annoyed at you or anything; I apologize if I came off that way. Usually at work when we have these kinds of problems we usually just call each other just because sometimes it can be so hard to get on the same page with one another over email or even on microsoft teams; that's what I meant with the talking past each other. In any case please let me know the result of that test.

EDIT: Added a bit more clarification

Reactions: Dallas

Dallas

Citizen
Oct 7, 2020
USA
Also no worries, and just to clarify I'm not mad or annoyed at you or anything; I apologize if I came off that way. Usually at work when we have these kinds of problems we usually just call each other just because sometimes it can be so hard to get on the same page with one another over email or even on microsoft teams; that's what I meant with the talking past each other. In any case please let me know the result of that test.

EDIT: Added a bit more clarification
Oh no i just wanted to make sure i didn't offend you haha, all is good!
But yes will get to testing this if you have discord you can add me.
sirfrak#4947