Since I was a child, I've noticed hundreds of times sounds that I could most definitely pick out as sounds I first heard on Ultima Online. That got me to wondering.. why does everyone use this collection of sounds, where did they come from, why are they still being used 20 years later?

I was just curious as to if anyone knew the answer to any of these questions.

"why are they still being used 20 years later?"

Well, I am almost 100% sure a cow 20 years ago sounds exactly the same as today ;)

Yep.. many sounds must just be like, public domain sounds, or very low cost generic sound company, so they do not have to actually spend money (whoever making movie or whatever) on creating their own set.
Thats what I figure anyways.. I have had the same wonder, and hear sounds a lot too from movies etc, that instantly make me think of UO. The alligator for sure, and horse sounds.

I was going more for like, the source of these sounds. I've always wanted to know where they came from.

I watch Westerns and stuff so i hear alot of the horse sounds.
I myself have always wondered the same thing Enroq.

I just meant that some company must have a library of these sounds that are cheap, where many movie makers or game creators just use them rather than sourcing their own at a higher cost. Maybe search sound effect library or something?

You'd think with how intricate graphic effects for movies/tv/games etc has gotten even in just the past 5-10 years that some jerk in the "Sound Guys Union" or whatever would have stepped up with some new ones...

Lazy sound guys.

Back