Hi all

My somewhat old shard, running the old prebuild mondains legacy bundle (I forget who made it, Malganis was it?), has really annoying and persistant client crash issues.

Is there anyway to find out why clients crash?

It seems to be random, but some places have a higher crash chance than others, such as Luna
I don't use any special hues or colour, or custom items, but I and players constantly crash in Luna about 25% of the time.
Other places not so much, but it does distract one from playing.

It is my experience that one can have a client/mul or client/art conflict - meaning that your client is not the same version, or a compatible version of as a mul or art file. I've experienced this a lot with centred when using one client to build a map, and another to walk around in-game. I'd make sure the map, art, and client I was using all came from the same source. You never know with someone else's work.

Hmm yea, I don't think that's it
The server is running on a fully patched version of UO
I'm running the fully patched UO client locally, but still crash.
It's just annoying.

Well I'm not sure what else to tell you - the source of your crash is in the client. You ought to investigate before taking options off the table.

I would say this would have something to do with the client also, if no player houses are in the area, you could try a huge wipe of Luna, only vendors and items would be removed, then test to see if still any client crashes.

It could be something as simple and unassuming as an equipped item on an NPC has somehow has been misplaced on the wrong layer, or they were assigned two pairs of shoes, or anything else that would compile fine but make the client vomit with hatred when it sends/receives the MobileUpdate packets when its on your game screen. Milva's and Enroq's suggestions are the best place to start - make sure your client files match the server, then start by wiping npc's and vendors.

I think it all started when I put in the killable guards, but, the crashes happen even when they're not spawned
And yea I remember the duplicate items causing crashes, I need to go over the vendor scripts again I guess.
Thanks all for the suggestions.

We did a version of killable guards... but we made them ourselves. I've never tried the released version.

um thanks?

What we did was made the NPC generic for the guard, naked too, and then use XMLSpawners to dress them for the town they where in. After that we also had a few of them on way points so the guards patrolled too.

I couldn't see any reason as to why the guard would crash the client, it's a shame, because they were kinda cool
I modified the basevendor file so the guards would show up if they were attacked.
Haven't had any crashes in Luna since removing the script this morning.

If they are the guards I am thinking of, they were made many years ago? It could just be like m309 mentioned, and they have some item equipped that has an invalid layer or that is created inaccurate in some way. You might just want to go over those guard scripts carefully, maybe even remake the creation of their equipment and clothing items etc, altogether.
Worth a shot anyways.

I guess I stand corrected huh? If you ever figure out why it's crashing, let us know. I'd be curious to know.

Back