We started our own server a few weeks back, and began testing new things here and there and improving many of the problems we found on other servers. Well in the midst of all of this our router got turned off and it changed the ip of our router, then we couldnt get anyone back on bc the IP had changed... Sooo, then we went and found duckdns.org and started using it so that it wouldnt matter if our ip changed.... then our router messed uo and we had to get another... now we couldnt log on through the dns at all and eventually we got it fixed and no we can get on it.... but its sooooo laggy you can take one step and stop for 3 seconds then move one more step and another 3 seconds, and its only through the DNS bc i can log on through the internal ip and itll work fine. Please help because we have lost the few people we had on because of our inconsistency in staying on...

We used to use no-ip. It's a program you use basically to hide your IP address, but because it's installed on the host machine, I believe it will automatically update the ip your machine has changed to and redirect your no-ip address to that one.

But this was eight years ago, things may have changed.
++ They look completely different.

http://www.noip.com/

Last edited:
duckdns : Duck DNS, free dynamic DNS hosted on Amazon EC2

i don't know anything about Amazon, but i hear it can be slow
noip is still good. i use it.

well our server is laggy again... even using our external ip..so its not the dns this time

Last edited:
often, but i guess since we started using the new router you log on through your dns, i could before and it be fine, but now i cant but the player we had on earlier said it wasnt laggy

often, but i guess since we started using the new router you log on through your dns, i could before and it be fine, but now i cant but the player we had on earlier said it wasnt laggy

Welcome to the Internet! LOL
Connecting locally through your home network to a shard hosted within your home network should have no lag (unless your router settings are just way wrong). However, outside of your home network there are 50 million things that can cause lag, seriously. Time of day versus Internet traffic on the hub your shard is being hosted on, the hops needed to get from a player's PC to your shard, to name just a few. Internally, your save times might indicate if there's a hardware issue on the computer your shard is running on. Chances are if your save times were originally very low (mere seconds) and now they are pushing double, triple or even quadruple what they used to be, your page file might be approaching its limits meaning you need to adjust your page file settings (free up hard drive space for virtual memory and even adding more RAM to increase system memory). One thing to be aware of is: The more you add to your shard, the more your save times will increase. The biggest issue I've seen visiting other shards over the years is when shards have custom buildings, dungeons, etc, the item count goes through the roof. This really can lag out a player. It helps if you add something new like that to freeze it and patch that map to your players. Shard lag is a tough thing to troubleshoot. Good luck in getting it figured out! We're here to help!

Today, ServUO.com has been snappy fast for me, even early this morning, I was pleasantly surprised to have the site loading nice and fast, and seems to have been all day. I hope this is no fluke :)

Oh wait, we're talking about the server not website, huh.. sorry, my bad.

On the server lag though, I noticed as well ServUO had a hesitation when running.. every 4-6 running steps it would hesitate, and continue.

I had also just imported my entire world (all 5 maps) of xml spawners too. I did a global setting, turning SmartSpawning ON and that hesitation/lag was completely gone.
You might just have enough spawn out there that its doing the same thing.

Back