So is the XenForo forums only available from buying a license?

Im getting close to creating a shard website finally, and these forums have become pretty comfortable. But at $150 for a free shard site, not sure about that. The price appears to just be for the support more than the actual package. Is this correct? So would I be wrong to think there are packages out there obtainable to use for a person who doesnt care about the service?

Thanks

Besides that too, what is the good Web Portal or CMS website people are using these days? Anyone have some good suggestions for a shard site?

well try dreamhost.com its like 9 dollars month unlimited data and shit load of space and you get one free domain name or you can use http://awardspace.com

I use that its free and you get good services for it being free they even have a paid part :)

Thanks Dragon, I appreciate it, but I have web hosting and domain. I am just curious what people are using for actual website systems these days.
I cant stand Word Press, and the sites I use to be familiar with and coded stuff with are somewhat obsolete now. I dont want to go through a lot of time and effort just to end up scrapping it because its mediocre, or find out it doesnt do what I really wanted.. I been through that plenty :)

@Dian if your webhost supports SMF (Simple Machine Forums), they are really great, nice themes to get started and tons of mods you can install. My webhost doesn't support the latest SMF, so I had to switch to PhPBB (Which I hate, but it has a nice Social Networking interface you can install too.)

oh I built my website out of js and just used some html and paint.net to make my images and coolor stuff.. im not good at website making but I am trying to redo my old site make a fresh new color that no one uses hehe..

Most people use blue and black for websits and that gets old to see hehe

sorry got off topic hehe.

well websites pretty much dead any more not less you can make it a app based website hehe.. that's my goal where people can download the app to there phone sand see my page or on windows 8 :)

but I would say Paint.net free awesome program for making images for your site.. and I just use html I keep it clean and fast loading :)

here is link to http://www.getpaint.net/index.html
awesome program :)

oh I wanted to ask you do you have a shard or a test shard? I wanted to add your link to my website :) so people can go from my shard to your shard and play if they want I don't mind sharing my people don't have may hehe.. just few peeps but it will grow someday hehe

Thanks. Yeah, @tass23 I have been using phpBB since, man.. 2000 or something, and yeah its great, but dated. I just got a copy of XenForo actually, and will play with it soon. I am just uncertain how the front page really is beyond showing forum post feeds, and I want content for shard information pages. And yea, my web host does have a nice collection of ready to install systems as well that I may toy with too. I use LinkSky.. if anyone wants good hosting, its 8.95 a month if paid annually, and I can give referral for an extra 3 free months. Just to throw it out there.

Well.. This is pre mature, but I bought the domain PlayUO .org today. I am still brainstorming what I want to do with it exactly, but ideas are a shard listing site, RunUO/ServUO related type of information site, or a combination of it all. All I know is, and no offense to anyone on the ServUO team here because you are all great (otherwise Id not spend the time here), but I honestly feel like this place is on a cliff, teetering and about to fall off. This Insanity guy has obviously abandoned the place and avoids it. You can not convince me that he has zero means to make a post in 4-5 months just to say 'never fear, I am alive and the site is not going anywhere!' I know most of you all feel the same, just dont want to voice it. Sorry to be the one..

A lot of you know I have a crap ton of Ultima Emulator content I have stored over the last 12-14 years, much I dont even remember having. I found source to things I cant remember ever obtaining, lol. I might want t post the stuff somewhere worthy, and I dont want to go through the effort to just end up having the page not load for good one day here.

I mean, it took 45 mins this morning for ServUO to load. Is Insanity hosting this at home, leeching off his neighbors wireless?? lol? I know that sounds like a jack ass for me to say, but dang! ServUO was down all day yesterday too.. slowly getting worse and worse.

Anyways, I certainly am not attempting to steal the community here. But on the other hand, I have been fairly active in the game since late 90's and have a shard in development since 2002 that is very near going public. I did not spent a decade on that damn thing just to go poof myself ;) I do know that I do not want to devote my time to website development though.. so its hard to say how far I will go with the fluff.

So at risk of pissing off a couple people like Insanity of whoever, yeah, I wil be working on a site over the week or so at PlayUO .org I will certainly still be active here as I always have been, and I promise I will not be that dude that comes here just to spam his website to get traffic. This is more for Talshani and I, and storage of Ultima stuff, as well as my shards website.. which I will get a domain for within the next week or so as well.. So.. I guess there it is.. we shall see what happens.

And again, this was not some plan of mine.. it has just somewhat come about over the last couple weeks.. and we (Talshani and I) just decided to get it and see where it go's. :)

@Dian, you can create a web-style page as a portal using a few different Xenforo mods like Nodes as Tabs, Xenporta and others. Once you create the "page" as a landing pad, you cam BBcode, html and css the hell out of it to make it as website looking or news-feed looking or whatever as you want.

I've been using XF for about a year and I love it. The Admin Panel is fantastic. I used phpBB, SMF, and did a trial of vBulletin as well before settling on Xenforo.

Awesome, thats about how I imagined it, thanks for that :) And to my above rambling.. I just wanted to get it out there just to be safe, should the worse happen. Even though Im sure you guys would scramble around to pull it back up. And believe me, I will do whatever I can to help here too no matter what. All you gota do is ask :)

Thanks m309

No worries.

I know most of you all feel the same, just dont want to voice it.

Sums it up nicely. Since you're talking about hosting files, sources, etc, going with the Resource Manager package of Xenforo would benefit you greatly.

I often felt the same Dian, I used all sources of communication to Ryan about RunUO and that I would keep it running and hosted and active, and nothing.
The same is happening here and it's sad. I love your idea of having a ultimate resource site. And I will help out when and where I can if you like.

For what its worth too, I have spoken with Ryandor from Ryandor.com a bit lately, and he is also open to ideas as to bringing a few things back to life as well or whatever he can do :)

@LFFPicard Thanks, I too tried as I could to contact Ryan.. anyway, as to the site/domain I am working on, I have quite a few ideas going on as well for it. Even if ServUO gets a breath of new life, I will support this place as I have been, and there should still be room for the site I am making I think. In the end though, its up to the community what lives or dies I guess :p

Figure I would update this, and mention I just bought the XenForo license. I tried the thing out for a day, and its such good software I felt it was well worth the money :)

Grats, I would of done ages ago but money is short recently :/
I did used to have a Vbulletin licence before XenForo came around though.

Xenforo is awesome, it was created by the same guys who made VBulletin 3.X
Vbulletin is shit now, so avoid that at all costs. :p
I do agree with you though, regarding this place and runuo, as soon as the owners lose interest and dissapear, it usually spells doom for the sites in question.
I used to run UOforums.com, but lost interest, mainly because it was geared towards "official" UO, so I sold it off.

Back