If anyone can point me to the best programs that would be great. I'm looking for someone experienced willing to send me a copy of their favorite programs and their process. By process I mean something simple not a detailed instructions I mean it's just programs I can figure it out on my own and I'm definitely not trying to bother anyone with stupid questions. I just want to get a head start and direct my focus properly instead of being scatter brained and never figuring anything out and wasting my time. I've made maps in the past but they never worked right. For example if someone knew a map program that would automatically place transitions for example the transition from ocean to cliff side to land... I would be all ears and love those instructions. In return for helping me get started I could do something for you like some custom graphic arts or something idk.

Ok I'm going with uo landscaper, uo architect, and centred+. Hunkering down and dedicating my free time to this project. Thank you golfin for the advice. I will update this thread with any major progress that I make and explain how I did it. First on my list of to do is to get the transitions to work automatically.
Post automatically merged:

I actually got transitions to work. This has made my year... All I'm going to do for the next few days is test out every single transition available to me... and at different heights... basically I want to create a data sheet with all of the possibilities available then draw my map with transitions at the top of the priorities. Thanks golfin I woulda never tried it again if no one said anything.
1609154122524.png

Last edited:
so far so happy... it seems everything needs to be at the same altitude to transition... well... at least when it comes to transitioning with shallow water. i think i remember reading it needs at least 2 tiles of same altitude to transition... After that I can simply go into centred+ and alter the altitudes to look better! im so excited that this is actually working it was never this easy in the past... maybe its because I'm actually using the correct client 7.0.20.0 I will upload the files I'm using once I get everything together to make it easy for people to start making maps.

1609163110811.png

I wish you nothing but the best of luck I always wanted to try my hand at a custom world but i just never understood the fundamentals of any of those map makers. There's not many video tutorials based around UO map Making.

I am now to the point of wanting to give up after about 20 attempts to figure out why the altitude map is no longer working... 1609218686726.png
I had drawn out a rather elaborate map (which I do every time I try this) only to discover this happening... The different altitudes are not lining up! (rock, water, land, other) I just tried a basic test only to find that the program has stopped working correctly and I'm not sure what caused it. Everything is set to "0" altitude in the altitude map.

I just noticed that when I tried to apply altitude colors into the terrain.bmp the color was much less vibrant. Any ideas why? Any ways around this? So I tried pasting the terrain into the altitude but it came out weird here are pics.
1609219843643.pngThe pink turned into that dull grey purple... this is the cause for the crazy errors. This is when I try to use altitude colors in the terrain.bmp (which I was then saving as altitude.bmp in order to simplify the process)
1609219932333.pngThen when I try to paste the terrain into the altitude this happens so it's literally impossible to simply fill the different colors with the correct altitude color.

So with this all said I have no idea what I'm doing wrong here... It all worked perfectly this morning I was able to do everything I said above without issue but I must have done something. I will research it and see what I find.

Last edited:
UO Landscaper uses two images to generate the map. The first Terrain.bmp where you paint what the map should look like and Altitude.bmp where you are solving the heights. You can't paint heights in Terrain.bmp.

I like working with UO Landscaper very much, I consider it a better program than DragonMod. I can customize it as I like, add material, statics and so on. One has to play with this program and get acquainted with its structure and functionality, and when it comes down to it and understands it, it will be an excellent companion. I especially appreciate the export to xml files from RunUO or ServUO, and then when generating the map, Landscaper can build these exported statics straight away. As I say, it is necessary to get acquainted with this program first and understand it.

I tried cutting and pasting the terrain into the altitude using rgb mode and it pastes fine then i switched back to indexed mode and loaded the altitude swashes and that also worked great was able to put in the correct colors and save it as 8bit... BUT as friggin usual... Something is not right... this time the water is too high... The water will not go up or down upon trying to correct the Hight by changing it from 0 to -20 it just stays there. 1609222729512.png

I know golfin i just want to put the terrain map into the altitude map in order to make them identical as that is important right? How do you do it then?

I finally figured it out! Thanks golfin again i think you helped me as I thought more deeply towards the program and dug deeper into the files.

1609247078983.png
As you can see I have proper transitions.

So the process is simple simply create the blank map files with uo landscaper then use the included swatches to draw the colors of the map. Once you have the map terrain drawn out you need to save this file as the altitude map BUT YOU NEED TO USE THE ALTITUDE "COLOR TABLE" to get the altitude color table simply open the altitude bmp and start at the image tab (Again this is photoshop) Image>>Mode>>Color Table now safe the altitude color table. Go back to terrain and load the altitude color table. The image will assume some different colors just use your memory to remember what it is then fill each part with the correct color from your altitude swatches. Save as altitude.bmp and create the .MUL files! Load them to the uo client overwriting the old ones. Start your server and enter the game. BOOM it works...

Last edited:
Generate Altitude.bmp using the AltImagePrep.exe subroutine. And only then edit it in adobe photoshop.

See also other UO Landscaper subroutines. In order for them to work, I need to have the game stored in the registry as a UO Gold version in windows. In the description of the program there is a link to download, or here on the forum in my resources.

Generate Altitude.bmp using the AltImagePrep.exe subroutine. And only then edit it in adobe photoshop.
Nice ill give that a try when i get home. Sounds like it does what i did manually. Hopfully i can start a real map today. I found an excellent post that i plan to use later helping me decide transitions and other choices. I want to to make a fun map to start with a couple of big dungeons. Ill post a link to that post when ii update my progress...

So ive got my first map templat drawn out. Ill work on it when i get home... i feel safe actually putting in the effort now that i know how to make sure the altitude.bmp is properly formatted. Can't wait... what do you guys think of my insanely poor drawings haha.

Attachments

• 16092654479607279109730198420605.jpg
    16092654479607279109730198420605.jpg
    557.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 1609265494632850984860338040261.jpg
    1609265494632850984860338040261.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 16092655189955642433646346630295.jpg
    16092655189955642433646346630295.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 16092655377187292858737153771272.jpg
    16092655377187292858737153771272.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 42
SO SOMETIMES THAT ALTIMAGEPREP EXE WORKS AND SOMETIMES IT DONT SO KNOWINTG caps... knowing how to do it manually is very good. I was sitting in class today already knowing everything so im just sitting there... I thought of an insane idea... to make the game insane hard... start out in a noob city but have a long ways to go before you get to the real game world... lo o o o l ....... instead of a moon gate its a 2 hours+ maze filled with mobs. hahahaha1609364510322.png

Hehe, that's crazy - but I really like the picture of the continent. You have interestingly made fractals.

Are you under the nickname Bนttͥᴍeͣiͫຮter ter on the discord?

yes that is me... the continent was generated from that one website... i generated over and over til i found a good one. also ive filled that empty space with dungeons also generated... the mazes are also generated... Still a lot of work to do before I can generate the altitude map. Then I'll try different ground tiles in the dungeons to change them up and then ill move to centred. Im really trying to put this out fast without sacrificing quality. 1609423220087.png

Last edited:
yes that is me... the continent was generated from that one website... i generated over and over til i found a good one. also ive filled that empty space with dungeons also generated... the mazes are also generated... Still a lot of work to do before I can generate the altitude map. Then I'll try different ground tiles in the dungeons to change them up and then ill move to centred. Im really trying to put this out fast without sacrificing quality. View attachment 17375
How's the project going?

Its going great i finished that map i drew on paper its live now. Flawless in my opinion except for the swamp dungeon the water tiles aren’t the right height and theres no way im going to do that one over haha. Pretty much figured everything out and more thanks to golfin. Just modified the altitude xml to make smooth map in preparation to make my next map. I shared it in resources. Next map im planning to model around balmora from morrowwind as it was my favorite map and quite a large city with many buildings. Planning to add custom art to using fiddler to make it look like balmora too. For now im just going to paint out the map using a height map i found (the main point of the smooth map modification). And draw in the city with the sand stone tiles as i plan to replace with new art anyways. Should be a fun way to pass the time off from truck driving.

So its like it but not exact replica this is uo after all. The only city im doing is balmora the rest of the map will be player housing and resource farming. Maybe a few murder hovels. Just like in morrowind balmora had citizen houses im thinking about letting active players live in them. Should be fun. The other side of the city had npc vendors with stealables and containers that would respawn random ingredients. Its going to be a fun city to build the map will be fun to but the hard part is the ccity i really want to make it stunning.

Hello! I have a question about map making too. It seems that Felucca map (map0.mul) doesn't removed completely, because when I run at any direction I always bump onto something like there is invisible statics or something. If it's imposible to fix, then I must to change some xml's with maps that starts from 6 and also change starting spawn point?

There can be a few reasons for this but this jumps out at me first.
Do your server and client share the same map files? When I've run into that problem, it was when I was running UOArchitect which requires that the client and server have their own client files. I made a change on the map (Froze a building on the server side) but the client didn't see it. Only when I copied the server map files to the client did I see what was blocking me.

There can be a few reasons for this but this jumps out at me first.
Do your server and client share the same map files? When I've run into that problem, it was when I was running UOArchitect which requires that the client and server have their own client files. I made a change on the map (Froze a building on the server side) but the client didn't see it. Only when I copied the server map files to the client did I see what was blocking me.
Wait, what server map files? UO Landscaper creates only 3 files thats for client only.

When you set your server up, you pointed a something called a "datapath" to a UO client that your server is essentially based on. That client data needs to be a mirror of the client you use to play with. I can't tell you what that folder is, you were the one who set that part up.

Createworld has no part of this.

When you set your server up, you pointed a something called a "datapath" to a UO client that your server is essentially based on. That client data needs to be a mirror of the client you use to play with. I can't tell you what that folder is, you were the one who set that part up.

Createworld has no part of this.
Yes, I change the DataPath.cfg for my client path, but I also must copy the whole client into ServUO (if is that you mean by a mirror of the client)? But it doesn't make sense since I already put my client path info in config and ServUO sees it (otherwise it won't load my custom map at all). Sorry for too many questions, but apparently I miss some info on how to use ServUO properly...

I think I found a problem... I tried to use the wrong map name, so when I rename map0.mul to map1.mul, the problem seems to be solved now. But I still see some NPCs and loot around. Should I rid off contents of "Decoration" folder in ServUO to fix it?

Last edited:
No. Those are just unfrozen statics, you can use [remove or [wipe to clear them.
I see, thanks! But is there a command or a way to delete all that statics in one move? The same with the regions - it thinks that Im in Britain, so when I run in certain areas it says I have left\under protection of the town guards. Like, I want to be free of any stuff from original map to start create my own custom map from scratch.

You can use [area remove and this will give you a targetting cursor so you can target the ground on the upper corner and lower corner. You can also use the [go command while that targetting cursor is active. This means that you can target the upper corner of Britain and the [go to the lower corner of Britain and it should delete all statics within that area. [area isn't picky about which corners you use...you're just setting up a rectangle to execute the following parameter on.
Large scale removes can take time....so once you've executed this command and you're just sitting there, seemingly frozen...don't panic, the server is just catching up.

Hmm, as I read here, I see a lot of mistakes. First of all. Return the name map0. That renaming is a huge mistake that will make up for you and you will only have problems. We will also explain how the game server and client installation work. In layman's terms, in order for a player to connect to a server, they must have their UO installation on their computer at HOME. And it connects to some serverv thousands of kilometers away, which must have its own UO installation. Not directly in the emulator components. It doesn't matter if it's Sphere, RunUO or ServUO. This is the basis. You must have the same version of the UO installation for the server and for the players. You, when connecting to your ServUO, are a player at the moment. And then there is working with the server, at that moment you already control the ServUO server and use the UO installation that is on the server.

And now to the mistake of burying statics, invisible objects and so on. There can be several reasons for this. First of all, make sure that your generated files map0, statics.mul and staidx.mul are the same on both the server and the player. This is the first step. If you keep burying and bumping, there is no error in these files. Then I recommend deleting the mapdif0.mul file. If your UO installation contains it. But do not delete completely, just delete its contents. I think UO Fiddler can do it. But I don't think there will be a mistake either. I think it will be in your save ServUO. Delete it. I don't know how it's done on ServUO, other people who work with the emulator will advise you here. But basically he advises you one thing here. make a wipe. One thing is an advantage on RunUO and ServUO emulators. You can build into Statics. It can't be done on a sphere. But in order to be able to build into statics, you must have just mentioned the two UO installations. It works the same way I described above. You log in to the server installation of the UO with your game installation UO. You defrost all or part of the map and build. or delete or edit. And then you freeze it again. Once you freeze it, what you built will disappear. This is stored in the statics in the UO server installation. Then you have to take it and copy it to your game UO installation so that you have the same files in both UO installations again.

Hmm, as I read here, I see a lot of mistakes. First of all. Return the name map0. That renaming is a huge mistake that will make up for you and you will only have problems. We will also explain how the game server and client installation work. In layman's terms, in order for a player to connect to a server, they must have their UO installation on their computer at HOME. And it connects to some serverv thousands of kilometers away, which must have its own UO installation. Not directly in the emulator components. It doesn't matter if it's Sphere, RunUO or ServUO. This is the basis. You must have the same version of the UO installation for the server and for the players. You, when connecting to your ServUO, are a player at the moment. And then there is working with the server, at that moment you already control the ServUO server and use the UO installation that is on the server.

And now to the mistake of burying statics, invisible objects and so on. There can be several reasons for this. First of all, make sure that your generated files map0, statics.mul and staidx.mul are the same on both the server and the player. This is the first step. If you keep burying and bumping, there is no error in these files. Then I recommend deleting the mapdif0.mul file. If your UO installation contains it. But do not delete completely, just delete its contents. I think UO Fiddler can do it. But I don't think there will be a mistake either. I think it will be in your save ServUO. Delete it. I don't know how it's done on ServUO, other people who work with the emulator will advise you here. But basically he advises you one thing here. make a wipe. One thing is an advantage on RunUO and ServUO emulators. You can build into Statics. It can't be done on a sphere. But in order to be able to build into statics, you must have just mentioned the two UO installations. It works the same way I described above. You log in to the server installation of the UO with your game installation UO. You defrost all or part of the map and build. or delete or edit. And then you freeze it again. Once you freeze it, what you built will disappear. This is stored in the statics in the UO server installation. Then you have to take it and copy it to your game UO installation so that you have the same files in both UO installations again.
If I return map0 name I can't see my map at all using 7.0.20 client. And yeah, there is no mapdif0.mul file. I think its easier at that point to just make original maps filled with water and never use them after that, then make the custom map with a new number in MapDefinitions.cs (its 6, right?) and change starting spawn point somewhere in servuo files.

Last edited:
Typing [where command it says Im in Trammel which is map1.mul. How I go to Felucca map0.mul then, since it choose Trammel by default?

If I return map0 name I can't see my map at all using 7.0.20 client. And yeah, there is no mapdif0.mul file. I think its easier at that point to just make original maps filled with water and never use them after that, then make the custom map with a new number in MapDefinitions.cs (its 6, right?) and change starting spawn point somewhere in servuo files.

This is absolute nonsense. Do not do that.

Typing [where command it says Im in Trammel which is map1.mul. How I go to Felucca map0.mul then, since it choose Trammel by default?

And I think that's where we get to the heart of your problem. You're on a different map. You are on map1, and you want to be on map0. On the Sphere, the coordinates of the map are also given as coordinates. I don't know how it is here on ServUO, I don't use this emulator. But I believe it will be similar. It would be good if someone using ServUO answers.

You need Map0. In the UO, for example, a treasure hunt is created on it. Technically - the Multimap.rle file for rendering treasure maps is an image of map0 drawn in ink. And using the [go command - how did it turn out? Do you get to map0 and walk freely? Or are static invisible items still blocking you?

You need Map0. In the UO, for example, a treasure hunt is created on it. Technically - the Multimap.rle file for rendering treasure maps is an image of map0 drawn in ink. And using the [go command - how did it turn out? Do you get to map0 and walk freely? Or are static invisible items still blocking you?
But when I go to Map0 all my statics became dead-styled (like in original Felucca map) which is not my point of making the map. And yes, I can walk around freely without invisible statics, but issue with city region, npc's and quest items on ground persists.

But when I go to Map0 all my statics became dead-styled (like in original Felucca map)
I can't translate this sentence well, I can't react.
And yes, I can walk around freely without invisible statics, but issue with city region, npc's and quest items on ground persists.
Here's proof that your map is fine. Regions, NPCs and Quests do not address mul and uop files. But ServUO scripts. You need to start editing ServUO scripts. The programmers will advise you more.

But when I go to Map0 all my statics became dead-styled (like in original Felucca map)
I can't translate this sentence well, I can't react.
"Felucca — The original world, which evolved to include dead trees and tombstones to distinguish. It has a harsher rule set where player killing is more common." - wiki.
shard3.jpg

Those are script issues. To get it to have regular trees have a look in MapDefinitions.cs in the Misc folder.
Near the top is:

RegisterMap(0, 0, 0, 7168, 4096, 4, "Felucca", MapRules.FeluccaRules);

and below it is a comment section that reads:

C#:
            /* Example of registering a custom map:
            * RegisterMap( 32, 0, 0, 6144, 4096, 3, "Iceland", MapRules.FeluccaRules );
            * Defined:
            * RegisterMap( <index>, <mapID>, <fileIndex>, <width>, <height>, <season>, <name>, <rules> );
            *  - <index> : An unreserved unique index for this map
            *  - <mapID> : An identification number used in client communications. For any visible maps, this value must be from 0-5
            *  - <fileIndex> : A file identification number. For any visible maps, this value must be from 0-5
            *  - <width>, <height> : Size of the map (in tiles)
            *  - <season> : Season of the map. 0 = Spring, 1 = Summer, 2 = Fall, 3 = Winter, 4 = Desolation
            *  - <name> : Reference name for the map, used in props gump, get/set commands, region loading, etc
            *  - <rules> : Rules and restrictions associated with the map. See documentation for details
            */

And in your case you need to change the Season from 4 to 1 if your wanting summer

The Regions can be edited in Regions.xml in the data folder

Back