zerodowned

Just wanting to throw out there the idea of possibly using experience from the various uo emus as experience on a resume
A position opened up at my work that requires " systems testing experience "
Meaning to build a plan to test and find any potential bugs or issues

Seems tempting since I'm tired of talking to people on the phones all day.

Anyway, I'm considering using years of experience on the resume and not specifying the program if I get an interview. Given the generally negative and potentially " illegal " rep that emulators tend to get.

Just wanting to throw out there the idea of possibly using experience from the various uo emus as experience on a resume

Anyway, I'm considering using years of experience on the resume and not specifying the program if I get an interview. Given the generally negative and potentially " illegal " rep that emulators tend to get.

You can throw it on the resume.
You get alot of experience like branch versioning, project management, bug fixing, making sure that what your building stays as latency free as possible, as well as working with teams, being able to be tasked something and get it done on your own time, etc.

Back then I used my experience in Delphi through stealth client in my resume. Within interview they asked me what kind of project iam involved and i explained it as non monetary (not making business by it) team development of a an alternative game client for an older computer game.
They asked me what kind of technologies i used and i explained them that we used SVN and now use Git, that we use xy frameworks and so on.

I am currently being headhunted by two big software houses here in my city, during talks with them both brought up my experience with this project. Both were impressed and gave the impression that it was a big deal to them and greatly increased my chances of being successful in further stages of the interview process.

From this project alone I have experience in working in a team, windows programming in .net, system and web administration, php programming, JS programing. Also, it is very important to a lot of employers that you have experience in source control such as git, atlassian, svn etc. With ServUO I have a ton of experience.

Also, the fact ServUO is open source is a HUGE plus. Many employers like their developers to spend some time every year working on OSS in order to learn new tech since OSS is usually on the fore front of it all.

It is probably my biggest draw on my resume, why would I not include it? :)

Mostly the same as Dmurphy for me, any experience that you can include to say "hey I've done x y z, and a bit of p d q" it's what they want to know to hire you. weather or not you got paid for getting that experience don't matter to them. The fact that you have it is what they need to know.

Just make sure the job contract doesn't specify that any work you do outside of work hours becomes their intellectual property.
A lot of jobs have clauses like this, which is why I'm reluctant to work for a company.
Suppose you were hired to manage in-house applications and in your spare time, you decided to develop an entire game from scratch - that game would then become their IP because, if the contract states, you'd be using tools and knowledge gained as part of your employment. These clauses tend to cover a period during employment and significant periods after employment.
Sometimes these clauses are not limited to software; suppose you invented something new and filed a patent - the patent would become their IP.

Good luck, hope you get the job! :D

Just make sure the job contract doesn't specify that any work you do outside of work hours becomes their intellectual property.
A lot of jobs have clauses like this, which is why I'm reluctant to work for a company.
Suppose you were hired to manage in-house applications and in your spare time, you decided to develop an entire game from scratch - that game would then become their IP because, if the contract states, you'd be using tools and knowledge gained as part of your employment. These clauses tend to cover a period during employment and significant periods after employment.
Sometimes these clauses are not limited to software; suppose you invented something new and filed a patent - the patent would become their IP.

Funny you mention that. I have had that clause in a contract in the past which I had legally clarified. The consensus was that as long as the software you are writing does not compete with any IP that the company owns then they can hold no claim against it. Of course, it will lead to a bad relationship with management if it came to a legal battle :)

The best thing to do when such a clause is in your contract is to sit down with HR and clarify with them what kind of software is no-go for you to develop in your own time.

Of course, this holds true to only my jurisdiction and highly suggest you get your own legal advice based on contract law in your own jurisdiction.

In the end of the day your employer want you to be up to date on technology, if they were to limit you like this it would be counter productive.

On the flip side I have seen a contract in the past that stipulated that you had to contribute back to the OSS community in some way every year. Some people would have contributed to the apache project, others worked on the linux kernel. All these things allow you to break out of the ecosystem set up by your employer and allows you to expand your skillset.

When I was in high school I spoke with a lady who helped people with their resumes and get work in the state I live. She explained to me that no matter what we do in life it could be a potential plus in the eyes of an employer. Big or small if you have experience doing it in some way then you can use it to enhance your resume.
All of the points Punkte made are valid experience that one gains from working with runuo/servuo. Crome969 and Dmurphy, according to them, Are living proof that you can take these life experiences and apply them to a resume with valid results. Voxpire nails it home with making sure your employer is acceptable with these activities and certain legalities of the job.

I say go for it and don't be shy on using your life experiences. :)

That's definitely worth pointing out.
The clause only relates to things created while at work. That's basically just to cover their butts so you don't create a tool for work and then try to claim a right to it an sue them for using it.

and thank you, I really hope so too.

Back