zerodowned

Looks like my plans to move back out to the woods is working out. I'll only have satellite internet as an option.

Obviously UO does or use to run fine on dialup but wanted to verify if satellite internet works fine for playing UO

Ping is going to be a problem. I believe the physical limit of your lowest ping will be around 500ms depending on how far away the satellite is in orbit and then you need to add on ping to and from the service you are trying to access.

I would look into getting a DSL line built out you way if it were me. It will probably cost $$$ but I am someone who *needs* fast and latency free internet :p

I know when I was still working as a GM for free shard, that was a problem. We had players with satellite internet connection. Either he couldn't sign up at all, or he had big lags. But as it is now, I don't know. It's been 10 years.

Are there no WISPs operating in the area?

As someone who has worked in and out of SATCOM for the past 10 years, You will likely not enjoy the experience.

10 years has improved the throughput significantly, but the Earth hasn't gotten any closer to the orbital belt. The latency will suck. Also, Residential VSAT service will be TDMA, so not only will other people's traffic affect you, but other people's terminals poor RF performance can negatively impact you as well.

If you know someone else in range that has better internet service, you can probably work out a deal with them to put up a Ubiquiti or Mikrotik wireless bridge between your houses and share the connection.

Ping is going to be a problem. I believe the physical limit of your lowest ping will be around 500ms depending on how far away the satellite is in orbit and then you need to add on ping to and from the service you are trying to access.

I would look into getting a DSL line built out you way if it were me. It will probably cost $$$ but I am someone who *needs* fast and latency free internet :p
If i had the money to put down on something like that I totally would.

Are there no WISPs operating in the area?

As someone who has worked in and out of SATCOM for the past 10 years, You will likely not enjoy the experience.

10 years has improved the throughput significantly, but the Earth hasn't gotten any closer to the orbital belt. The latency will suck. Also, Residential VSAT service will be TDMA, so not only will other people's traffic affect you, but other people's terminals poor RF performance can negatively impact you as well.

If you know someone else in range that has better internet service, you can probably work out a deal with them to put up a Ubiquiti or Mikrotik wireless bridge between your houses and share the connection.
I've been looking into that and I think that's the best bet.

If i had the money to put down on something like that I totally would.

I've been looking into that and I think that's the best bet.
I did the back woods "off gride" for over 10 yrs and the lag drove me crazy, but if you can find a modem internet around you UO works great still on it. It's the time of the singnel going from you t satelight and back tho only a sec it makes bad lagg. hugss I understand

I did the back woods "off gride" for over 10 yrs and the lag drove me crazy, but if you can find a modem internet around you UO works great still on it. It's the time of the singnel going from you t satelight and back tho only a sec it makes bad lagg. hugss I understand

Well i thought i struck gold, it's in Comcast's service area but turns out they haven't set the wiring anywhere near where I'm moving to.
so basically their response was
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

can't even get DSL

so basically i'm stuck with either satellite or cellphone/wireless data (WISP) - and wireless seems like a much better option - but both have data caps
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/l2JhrYYxAD6N5gble" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
">via GIPHY</a></p>

Back