Lord Clay Of Aquinas submitted a new resource:

So I started this sort of thread on another forum and would like to bring it here. I started work on a map that has been in the making since 2002/2003. It's been a very on and off process. Recently I dug up the files and decided it was time to start working on it.

So I started to share some of my progress with the map. And was thinking, maybe other people are proud of their work and want to share screenshots of it.

Here's a current work in progress shot. (Deciding whether I should go...

View attachment 2011
View attachment 2012
View attachment 2013
View attachment 2014
View attachment 2015
View attachment 2016
View attachment 2017

This last one I was debating on building a dam for the waterfall or just make it natural. That's why this one looks a little odd..
View attachment 2018

Last edited:
Good stuff :)
Sounds a lot like My wife and I.. started a map in 2001, worked on it very regularly up to around 2006-7, picked it back up again about 3-4 years ago.. lol
I have been meaning to post a thread as well with a batch of screen shots.

Never give up!

Good stuff :)
Sounds a lot like My wife and I.. started a map in 2001, worked on it very regularly up to around 2006-7, picked it back up again about 3-4 years ago.. lol
I have been meaning to post a thread as well with a batch of screen shots.

Never give up!

Well, this is a thread to give you your chance.

Of course this is still a work in progress. Dian, I know you saw these over on RunUO. I figured I'd bring them over here.

awww.uo_er.com_pics_ss_new_buildings01.jpg
awww.uo_er.com_pics_ss_new_buildings02.jpg
awww.uo_er.com_pics_ss_new_buildings03.jpg
awww.uo_er.com_pics_ss_new_buildings04.jpg
awww.uo_er.com_pics_ss_new_buildings05.jpg
awww.uo_er.com_pics_ss_new_buildings06.jpg
awww.uo_er.com_pics_ss_new_shard_old_dock.png

This last one I was debating on building a dam for the waterfall or just make it natural. That's why this one looks a little odd..
awww.uo_er.com_pics_ss_new_waterfall_20ideas.jpg

Last edited:
A dam would look ok with the amount of water above, and natural does too considering the size of the falls.
If it's really close to a town i would vote yes for a dam, if not i would keep it natural, a waterfall is funnier to watch for the person that sleeps in that tent. :p

I am actually in need of a full time builder. So its probably something you won't have the time for but if you ever feel you want to start on a new project please let me know could always use someone with your talents..

Ahh no, that was an error. Thanks for mentioning it because I removed the useless resources.

It was mostly just showing off work.

I think I asked this before but can't remember. Does centred save automatically to the required files on the server side automatically?

And if I erase all of my UOLive Map Streamer Saved files, my maps should go back to original states, provided I also install them to my client side. Still going to use to UOLive Map Streamer, maybe not for heavy map editing. Found out my Server folder is 5.5gb large. I think UOLive is the reason. I need to use centred for map editing, so it doesn't get so huge again.

Last edited:
I think I asked this before but can't remember. Does centred save automatically to the required files on the server side automatically?
Centred does automatically save at set intervals.
Should have made a new thread for these questions instead of posting them on an unrelated topic.

We've been working on a custom map for our server. It was created using the BMP through Dragon_Imod13 method. We first worked on creating the swatches for each type of area. Which means customizing the types of statics that would be generated in a given tile type. trees for forest, jungle trees for jungle tiles etc. We wanted to use translucent water tiles so we jimmy rigged Dragon to generate a top surface layer of water and then we did a second map generation that had a different lower undersea surface and its own undersea deco spawns.The effect worked out nicely. Our server run an enforced role play experience and has been in production off and on for nearly 10 years where we've been open for a while and held "Acts" for each one time period.For this latest Act5 and the map we've decided to take almost the entirety of our Act4 map and merge it into this map. The area's were also drawn in the BMP and fed through dragon as placeholders, and then later we used RadMapCopy to splice them into the placeholder spots, thereby keeping the exact statics we had before.
http://www.13thrones.com/
Here are some screens of the progression:
A test map for swatches and testing transitions.
testswatchBig.JPG
swatches:
ScorchedLand.JPG
grass2jungle.JPG
gras2swamp.JPG
water2beach2grass2mountain.JPG
forest2mountain.JPG
This is the Act4 map.
Tormap.jpg
Here's roughly what this new map ended up as. you can see how the Act4 map fits inside the Act5 map at the top right section.
EasyToLookAtMap.gif
We've had our share of map errors when splicing!
NewExcitingLevelDesign.JPG
We converted the Act4 map water which was opaque to translucent.
Docks.JPG

I've also done some work recreating our map in the style of the UO cloth map. Here are a few smaller pics of the cloth map.
DestroyedVillage.JPG
map4-2.JPG
Templam.JPG
Squamoth.JPG
FortPrae3.JPG
ProvinceOfTorUOstyle.5.jpg

The attached file is the full map.

Attachments

• ProvinceOfTorUOstyle.9.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 34
  • pTorEdging.JPG
    pTorEdging.JPG
    272.8 KB · Views: 718
Last edited:
The translucent water is always great. I wish I had some more talent with the actual server work and things like that. The design side I've got down.

That's a cool cloth map, any luck transitioning it into the In Game cartography/treasure map?
I'm not sure how to do this, but I will look into it. For the cloth map, the areas are all mostly generated automatically like swatches. It's the towns and houses that I've had to draw manually. We plan on selling real cloth maps when our server gets closer to launch. I've been looking into cheap online vendors that can do cloth or canvas printing.

Here you can see the mountain folder, Within the folder is "rex-mountainele..." which is the elevation data i originally used in the map generation BMP. It has nice concentric rings greyscale from dark to light which give the area some depth. The next layer down is a full brown color accross the entire image which use a black/white mask to hide and show the Layer Style>Pattern Overlay, which is of the mountains.
Mountains.gif
There is also a Bevel & Emboss> Texture, which is the same mountain pattern which gives the individual mountains some pop. Mountains pretty much always touch grasslands at the bottom, so the Inner Shadow is a similar color to the grass with some noise so that it looks like the grass smoothly transitions into the mountains. At the top edge is the Drop Shadow which is creating the dark line at the tops of the mountain edge. The inner glow is listed but its not actually used.

LayersMasksPatterns.jpg

All of the area types use a very similar method. Grass, Forest, Jungle, etc, so that the majority of the map is auto-generated.

You can see here how i did the edging of the forests. I used a path which borders the forest and then did a text layer, typing out capital and lowercase O, "ooOooOOOOooOOooOo" kinda randomly. Then I flattened the text layer and selected and deleted the insides of the O's. Finally an outside black glow with some randomness finishes the look.
ptoredging-jpg.3721

@Rex Thank you so much for sharing all this with us. Love your work on the custom map, looks like you've put a lot of TLC in what you've shown us! Great tips on the map you've made. The O's for the edge of the forest is such a creative use of resources. Are you by chance a member of the cartographersguild forums?

Hi all,

I've been working on a new server project called "New World" for many years. I've been working alone because I don't want to have a deadline and build for the joy of it. Hopefully one day the server will get off the ground, but at present the map is about 50% completed, but progressing none the less.

Currently I am finished 2 major cities, 3 towns and 2 settlements, plus many points of interest and unique terrain elements. I have plans to build 6 custom dungeons and then think about launching the project. I registered newworlduo.com... ;)

A special thanks to @m309 for his generosity and getting me started on the right foot, and to the artists whose artwork I have patched into my world.

Here is a sampling of my map work!

ai.imgur.com_WgpIIiW.jpg

ai.imgur.com_col3ldL.jpg

ai.imgur.com_ivhQxAt.jpg

ai.imgur.com_XAEslAE.jpg

ai.imgur.com_botnVVB.jpg

ai.imgur.com_Egq94ol.jpg

ai.imgur.com_6ysar39.jpg

ai.imgur.com_5FBlGWm.jpg

ai.imgur.com_b46W5Vf.jpg

ai.imgur.com_ONT3czp.jpg

ai.imgur.com_YWLd2jm.jpg

ai.imgur.com_4Kopcg2.jpg

ai.imgur.com_2OqfGjm.jpg

ai.imgur.com_pjkpY6E.jpg

ai.imgur.com_0ON1iwD.jpg

ai.imgur.com_N3IvSIS.jpg

ai.imgur.com_lVRwYnt.jpg

ai.imgur.com_sZT3Da9.jpg

ai.imgur.com_mILhUWQ.jpg

ai.imgur.com_q6ailci.jpg

And a sneak peak into my desert mecca, Cambria:

ai.imgur.com_hmorrgE.jpg

ai.imgur.com_FB075sL.jpg

ai.imgur.com_czN7245.jpg

ai.imgur.com_1LvKS8Z.jpg

ai.imgur.com_KCKiV2m.jpg

I'd love to hear from you if you're interested in the work or the project!

Best,
Owen

Those are really nice areas, especially the island with two pines, using those roof props as dry desert is a good idea :p
And the last screenshot; how can the bankers go in these rooms? - i know there's an open space between the wall and ceiling but i doubt it's by there xD

I concur with ZHE, I am quite flabbergasted on how you manipulated those lights to be different colors. I'm also quite curious on how you did that.

For the colored lights, you have to use specific ItemID's to get specific colors because they seem to be hard coded in the client. I'm using 4 itemID's to get 4 of the colors, and some other ones to get some of the other light types, like campfire. red 0x40fe, blue 0x40ff, green 0x4100, purple 0x4101. The next step is to use a blank image.bmp for those item slots so nothing shows up in game, but you are still left with an item name like "Light Red" which players could potentially pick up, or you could set the weight in tiledata to 255 but then the item would be stuck there, and you'd have no way to target it to delete it or edit it after it's been placed. My solution was to create a 2-item solution. the first item is a special wearable ring item called "staff light editor" and when you wear it you are able to walk around and when you walk on top of these light items the light items have send a system message and their own OnMoveOver check which looks for the special ring item, at that point it sets Movable = true and then you can use Ctrl-Shift to target the item with [props and edit the light circle etc. when you OnMoveOff the light it sets Movable = false which makes the item not show up to Ctrl-Shift, but leaves the light effect in place.
with all this you are able to set up and edit any number of custom lighting colors and sizes. speaking of sizes i also added 2 more custom large and super large light circles which make for some huge effects.LightType.SuperBig.JPG
this was a very early test of the super big light circle.

Back